How do you remove metal stuck to your shoes before walking into the house?

We take our shoes off in the house, but I've got about 30' of concrete between my back door and the shop door. I've noticed the rust stains on the concrete become gradually but noticeably fainter closer to the house. Apparently concrete works. ;)

I catch hell when my wife finds a metal chip in the bottom of her bare foot while she is walking through the house.
My machines are in the attached garage. I have two porch mats and a sticky mat but every now and then one of those pesky little chips will find a way into the house.

I use compressed air to remove the debris right before leaving the shop

I have a wood grate in front of the lathe. When I go upstairs I scrape my shoes against the wood and chips fall thru it. I periodically pick the grate up and sweep/vacuum under it. Nothing I know of is 100% effective and this is no exception but it's the best thing I've found. I have issues that make swapping shoes difficult so that's not an option for me.

LATHE FLOOR MAT.JPG

I use the big mats with the holes in them around all my machines for comfort but it does help with chips. No matter what I find chips in my socks or on the cuffs of my sweatshirt. I always dust myself off but you always miss one or two. You need a air curtain

I have shop cloths that set in the breezeway between the garage and our house. I brush off in the shop so the cloths are relatively clean (shop is ina pole barn 50 yds. from our house). Pull my shoes when I hit the garage and never take them inside. Still end up with a few chips inside, but pretty minimal.

Bruce

The type of sole on the shoe matters also. Soft soles tend to pick up the chips easier than hard sole shoes. I leave my shoes at the door, sandals, slippers or crocks in the house.

Back