How do you replace the bearings in a motor?

Nelson,
I just googled "bearing shop queens NY" and got 3 hits. Once you get the old bearings out, just take them to the nearest shop. Generally, bearings are pretty reasonable.

A puller and a press will be your friends.

Nelson

Bearings are relatively easy to get ahold of. I keep dozens in staock and so would any small motor or other repair shop. Also there are industrial bearing houses and many car type parts stores.

Bearing removal, I have dozens of different bearing pullers and press fixtures just to facilite that. My Arbour press is what I will use most of the time. Supported by bearing knives like shown in the front page of that youtube video. If the rotor is too large in diameter to fit the arbour press, then it is either the big H-Frame Hydraulic press or a two or three arm puller, or a strong back puller like shown on the youtube picture. Bench grinders can be a bit tricky in that the shaft is really long for bearing pullers.

Walter

Also

Bearing heaters are pretty rare beasts, very few home shops will have them.

When ever possible, and unless you have grease fittings on the motor, err for 2RS bearings with the two rubber seals. Open and shielded bearings let too much crap into the bearing in typical applications

Walter

starlight_tools link=topic=1628.msg9742#msg9742 date=1302501598 said:
Nelson

Bearings are relatively easy to get ahold of. I keep dozens in staock and so would any small motor or other repair shop. Also there are industrial bearing houses and many car type parts stores.<BR><BR>Bearing removal, I have dozens of different bearing pullers and press fixtures just to facilite that. My Arbour press is what I will use most of the time. Supported by bearing knives like shown in the front page of that youtube video. If the rotor is too large in diameter to fit the arbour press, then it is either the big H-Frame Hydraulic press or a two or three arm puller, or a strong back puller like shown on the youtube picture. Bench grinders can be a bit tricky in that the shaft is really long for bearing pullers.

Walter

Walter,

I understand how a puller like the 2-jaw puller in the video is used, but I'm lost on how the arbour press works to separate the bearing and properly replace the new one. Perhaps a photo?
Thanks,

Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone identify these pullers?

So many pullers needed to do bearings. Can someone identify the ones in these photos please? ::headscratch::

Thanks!!

Nelson

Bearing3.jpg Bearing2.jpg Bearing4.jpg Bearing5.jpg Bearing1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The first pic pullers are for bearings close to the end of the shaft, the other for a bearing deep on a crankshaft ie air compressor crank. I use a coiled single element hotplate for installing bearings.

I just re-wired (some dumbass previous owner cut the wires just outside the motor housing), and replace the bearings in my rockwell tool grinder. The bearings are easy to come by, just get the part number off the old ones, find a set of Timkens. What a pain to re-assemble, I kept deforming the starter spring "plate" and the grinder wouldn't start, just hum. Then I got "smart" and used an ohm meter during re-assembly walla a working motor. As far as pullers I just used a cheapo 2 jaw puller. Best of luck.

Mark

a bearing heater is as simple as a 60 or 100 watt light bulb in a stable socket just balance the bearing on the bulb and flip the switch after 5 min or so flip it over ( the actual time is bearing and bulb dependent) but the objective is even heat on the inner race. I try for about 220 Deg F or spit sizzles temperatures .
A clean journal and a light wipe with never seize. with a little practice the bearing should slide into place with firm hand pressure ( wear gloves )

On some of the larger motors the end bells have to go back on the end they came off of and the orientation kept the same as before. The best way is to punch a set of dots on adjacent surfaces before disassembly.
Sometimes when this is not done the shaft will lock up upon reassembly.
This is mostly a problem on larger motors with cast iron bells. However it's good not to take a chance.

Back