How do you Setup a Taig 4 Jaws Chuck?

oskar

Registered
Registered
This is the first time I tried to use the Taig 4 jaws chuck but the center tool I have mounted wobbles a bit. If I remember this chuck was described as self centering but it’s very awkward to turn the chuck plates to secure a tool. Is there a procedure to use this chuck the first time?

And what is the purpose of the 2 holes on the exterior face of each jaw?

Nicolas

36A Lathe Finished.JPG

You need to put a dial indicator on the part being held in the jaws and then adjust each jaw so that the part becomes coaxial with the spindle.

https://littlemachineshop.com/images/gallery/PDF/Centering4-JawChuck.pdf

A 4 jaw chuck can be used to hold a part off center so that things like crankshafts can be machined.
They can also be used to take an already round part, center it perfectly, and then machine another coaxial feature on the part.

Aren't those holes the screws holding the jaws to the face? I assumed they are replaceable jaws
mark

I think that is a 4 jaw scroll Chuck. If so, the holes on the rim are for Tommy bars that allow you to tighten the Chuck. Put the stock in place and put a rod in each hole. Then move the Rods in opposite directions to tighten or loosen

Thanks for the help folks

Yes the holes on each jaw are for holding the jaws to the face

The holes you see on the perimeter of the 2 plates of the chuck are to use 2 little bars which came with the chuck to open / close the jaws. So I don’t think I can adjust each jaw independently. The link you provided Mich is for a different type of chuck

Thanks Mike

I know how to use the Tommy bars but I was asking how I can adjust the jaws to keep the stock in place and in the center. I don’t see how this can be done since I can’t adjust the jaws independently

I came in here all ready to tell you about adjusting the other type of 4 jaw... I forgot that they made that type.

How bad does it wobble?

Have you managed to disassemble the whole works and clean it?

If it's clean and secured to the lathe, and your tool is cylindrical and not tapered, maybe you need to take a light cut on the inside of the jaws to true them up?

You might need to put a small coin or something in the back to give the jaws something to bite on, I've never actually done it, I just know it's something that is often done. :)

Apparently truing the insides of the soft jaws is not uncommon for the Taig chucks. I found several videos or web pages all presenting the same solution to minimize the runout. I just searched "truing Taig chuck jaws" and wound up with multiple hits on the same topic.

Seems a shame to have to do that though, as it will pretty much dictate the jaws stay in that orientation unless you want to true them every time you change them. I guess you could number them like regular scroll jaws, that might work. On the other hand, I guess that is the very nature of the "soft jaws" as opposed to hard ones.

-frank

Thanks Mike

I know how to use the Tommy bars but I was asking how I can adjust the jaws to keep the stock in place and in the center. I don’t see how this can be done since I can’t adjust the jaws independently

You can't without boring/truing the jaws; it's a scroll Chuck. Will a Sherline 4 jaw independent chuck fit? Same spindle thread but the register is different. I know some guys have used Sherline Chuck's on Taig stuff.

I didn’t use a dial indicator yet because the wobble is noticeable right away although it’s minimal. I removed one jaw and there is grease behind it so next step is to mark the jaws location and clean it.

I have seen how they put a coin truing the inside of the jaws and perhaps I have to do this but first I will have to get a boring tool which I have none and never used one either. It’s not a job I would like to do since never used a lathe before. I was hoping to try the lathe first with some easy tasks to get the hang of it and then go to more difficult tasks.

However I think it’s not a type of a chuck I like because I find the Tommy bars very inconvenient to use. Is any other type of chuck recommended for this headstock besides Sherline?

Back