How do you store your drill bits?

Last edited by a moderator:
author=mnmh link=topic=1687.msg10163#msg10163 date=1302713608
author=Paddy OFernichur link=topic=1687.msg10158#msg10158 date=1302712604
That photo for the Enco one is *VERY* deceptive. If I'm not mistaken, the $78 is for just ONE of the three drill cabinet/file/index (whatever you wish to call them) units, the fractional inch sizes one.

That is correct. It's only for the fractional 3-drawer unit. All thee units to cover fractional, number and letter sizes will set you back about $254. They would be nice to have and it looks like they may be able to be mounted to the wall which would be real nice.

Ed

Dangit! That IS deceptive. Best to look on local Craigslist to get a good used unit for less! I like the Sears cabinets that Walter has, and they often have sales. For $250, I'd rather get some tooling.

Best,

Nelson

If you look at the Master Catalog page linked to that Enco ad, it clearly states "Shows 3 cabinets stacked" with all the prices. It's just that search image that's deceptive.

I'm cheap. If I find some nice wood, I will rip it and drill some holes and voila, drill storage. Wood doesn't rust.
Same for collets, drill 1" holes with a hole saw in the drill press in a row and I can screw some cleats to a shelf and slide it in.

I can put the wood holders on the drill press base for easy access.

Like Ed says, $250 buys a lot of bits- at ENCO, it will buy a US made 115 pc 135 degree cobalt set, and if I get one of the codes I'm always posting on here, then I get free shipping too.

I confess, I don't like the holders they come in- too hard to get them out when I need them- I'm impatient. LOL

Best,

Nelson

I keep my drill bits in indexes, out for ready use. I have a nasty habit of using what's at hand if it's any effort to locate a better size, so that's what works for me. The indexes (indices?) live in a little cubby I made atop the roll-around cabinet that holds end mills and other mill tooling, and under the solvent platform at the very top:

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

IMG_7206.JPG IMG_7203.JPG

author=knudsen link=topic=1687.msg10244#msg10244 date=1302729063
Looks like you don't like getting your fingers cut reaching across them, Frank :)

In practice, I move the desired index to the front so I don't snag a drill and dump an entire batch on the floor. Did that once - that was enuf.

For as long as I can remember, I've used this little trick:

When I use a drill bit, I like to return it to the index holder "face down." That way, I can easily identify the unused, sharp bits which have the cutting ends up.

080.jpg

That doesn't work with the Silver & Deming set, but if you look at the other sets, you'll see very few unused ones showing. I never thought about it, but I suppose it does keep me from getting cut, too.

I do also have the Huot drill index file boxes, but I keep only new bits in there.

yup, so my little wall boxes weren't cheap, and to boot, I have to put wooden trays or metal organizers in to store things like the drill bits but they sure gave me a fighting chance to clean up my shop and get a bunch of stuff off the floor. Drill bits are in an open drill stand that just nicely fits into one of the door shelves.

R8 Collets are in a wooden stand that was made up to fit in the next shelf up.

End mills are in the opposite door and they are in the little wooden blocks that the set of bits came in.

I have another set of bits that lives in a closable 3 way Frac/Letter/Number index in my roll cab.

Also many of the longer bits are laid out in the roll cab drawers.

I keep the overflow bits in the sharpening centre in envelopes per size.

I always put my bits in the stand point down, as scars on the shank prevent putting them in the organizer properly. If the scar needs it, I will grind them off.

Walter

author=Frank Ford link=topic=1687.msg10254#msg10254 date=1302729874
author=knudsen link=topic=1687.msg10244#msg10244 date=1302729063
Looks like you don't like getting your fingers cut reaching across them, Frank :)

In practice, I move the desired index to the front so I don't snag a drill and dump an entire batch on the floor. Did that once - that was enuf.

For as long as I can remember, I've used this little trick:

When I use a drill bit, I like to return it to the index holder "face down." That way, I can easily identify the unused, sharp bits which have the cutting ends up.

080.jpg

That doesn't work with the Silver & Deming set, but if you look at the other sets, you'll see very few unused ones showing. I never thought about it, but I suppose it does keep me from getting cut, too.

I do also have the Huot drill index file boxes, but I keep only new bits in there.

Frank,

Did you make those holders or are they store-bought?

Nelson

Back