How do you store your drill bits?

12bolts-

That is a smart way of dealing with a lot of loose drills.

I am in the same boat right now- just got a load of drills (about 500), some in loose boxes that I need to organize somehow.

In a pinch, i've used a piece of 2x4 with holes of various sizes drilled in it, that I can just put on the drill press table or table to hold them, but I really want something a little neater and more compact.

Thanks,

Nelson

author=12bolts link=topic=1687.msg11987#msg11987 date=1303791634
I keep my smaller bits in the indexed box they came in and my milling cutters and taper shank bits in my own indexed box. The collection of taper shank drills came with the drill press and were all loose in a box.
I already had the storage cupboard so a quick bit of cabinet work was all that was required. The tubes to hold the drills are PVC conduit. I used a holesaw to counter bore the OD of the conduit from the back and then flipped it over and drilled through the timber top to suit the inner diameter of the conduit. There is a similar board locating the bottoms of the conduits. I then just cut wood dowels to appropriate lengths that drop in to the conduits to hold the bits up to similar heights. Some of those bigger drills are close to original lengths, (12ish+ ") and some are wore right down to stubs, but at least they dont disappear out of sight down the conduits for ever ;D

IMG_04-1.jpg
IMG_03-1.jpg
IMG_05-1.jpg

Cheers Phil

IMG_04-1.jpg

IMG_03-1.jpg

IMG_05-1.jpg

IMG_04-1.jpg

IMG_03-1.jpg

IMG_05-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone used liquid plastic to dip drill bits in? I have considered doing that and that way I can just place them in a bin and not have to worry about them banging around. Plastic should just twist off and twist back on.

author=Magnum link=topic=1687.msg26411#msg26411 date=1316386384
Anyone used liquid plastic to dip drill bits in? I have considered doing that and that way I can just place them in a bin and not have to worry about them banging around. Plastic should just twist off and twist back on.

I have some blocks of wax that were used to cover sharpened end mills that were given to me after a neighbor who sharpened cutting tools for a living passed away. Although I have never used any of it yet I understand it is simply melted in a crock pot and kept liquid, then just dip the bit in it and once it dries, just peel it off. My guess is you could simply re-melt it and use it over and over.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have wax I use for machining.... It takes a while to get the was heated and would be a little brittle when removed, so you could not reuse it. That is why Iw as thinking of the plastic.

I have hundreds of small size extra drill bits. What I did was to get some of that 1/2" white plastic grid commonly used to cover fluorescent light fixtures in offices. Always could find some of that in the museum dumpster. I sawed out 2 pieces about 8" x 14". Glued one piece on top of the other,and glued the assembly over a piece of masonite. The small drills just stand on end in the 1/2" squares. I labeled the squares to identify the drills. Just quick and dirty,but compact,too.

Otherwise,drill sets are kept in their indexes.

I have a complete set (fractional to 1/2, letter and number from 1-80) by each machine..lathe, mill and drill press. All are in Hout boxes.

My spare bits are stored in heavy duty plastic ziploc bags that you can buy online or in a coin shop or hobby shop. The size is written on each bag and a bit of CRC is sprayed in the bag then sealed.

Number bits go in one plastic storage box from Walmart, fractional and letter get the same treatment in their own boxes. Makes finding the bits fast and easy.

The boxes are Sterilite modular containers. They come in various sizes with handles that flip up and secure the lid. They are unaffected by CRC and such liquids.

I use the same type of containers to store excess endmills and such. ::thumbzup::

Back