How Do You Store Your Open End Wrenches?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
So...I will be cleaning up and organizing the shop soon.

I have some wrenches that did not come in a case, and want to store them on the wall.
Not sure if I will have pegboard, but I do have wooden walls.

How do you store yours?
Are those magnetic strips any good, or not strong enough?

My dad used a piece of masonite with finish nails pounded in to capture the base of the wrench heads. The masonite is hung on his pegboard. Don't know about the magnetic strips. I'm guessing if you used a piece of delrin or wood for that matter and drilled holes for some rare earth magnets they would hold fine.

Bruce

i have mine hung up pretty much the same way as Bruce , its simple and easy , plus if you have multiples of the same wrench it makes it easy to just stack them in the same slot .

my only issue with the magnetic strips is it makes your tools slightly magnetic as well and they then tend to collect chips and debris

I tend to like putting my tools in drawers, it looks neater and easier to keep clean. I like the combination saw tooth rails. Here is what I ended up doing, it may be another option for you.
KRL7023 Drwr 03.JPG KRL7023 Drwr 04.JPG

Regarding the magnetic strips, many of them are junk... but these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001...+for+tools&dpPl=1&dpID=31PGj4zRWGL&ref=plSrch

Are AMAZING. I have several of them around the shop and honestly want to get more. They're immensely strong, and if you don't mind them magnetizing what you hold with them, they're a great way to organize tools.

The bright yellow strip is the magnet(s) and the frame and mounting lugs are welded steel with a plastic/rubber coating. Very beefy and easily strong enough to hold a set of wrenches.

I tend to like putting my tools in drawers, it looks neater and easier to keep clean. I like the combination saw tooth rails. Here is what I ended up doing, it may be another option for you.
View attachment 142601 View attachment 142602

Looks great Randy. Unfortunately, I'm a sloppy slob. I need something simple, quick and easy. That's why I'm leaning towards nails, or the magnetic strip that Karim mentioned, which looks excellent.

If the magnetism spreads, a de-magnetizer will be necessary.
They sell handheld models for a few bucks, but really, one of the larger ones is much better.

I started to use the shadow foam method. I buy an exercise mat from Walmart and trace all the tools, then use a sharp exacto knife or similar to cut it out.
My toolbox came with a black mat in the bottom of the drawers and I just left that in there and cut all the way through the blue exercise mat. I did glue some of them together with 3m 77 adhesive. The picture of the Machinist tools was done with Kaizen Foam that I purchased at Rockler Woodworking.
It looks like a lot of work but it really isn't once you get going.

IMG_20161231_111401672.jpg

IMG_20161231_111407954.jpg

IMG_20161231_111426914.jpg

I started to use the shadow foam method. I buy an exercise mat from Walmart and trace all the tools, then use a sharp exacto knife or similar to cut it out.
My toolbox came with a black mat in the bottom of the drawers and I just left that in there and cut all the way through the blue exercise mat. I did glue some of them together with 3m 77 adhesive. The picture of the Machinist tools was done with Kaizen Foam that I purchased at Rockler Woodworking.
It looks like a lot of work but it really isn't once you get going.
Way too nice for my shop! I like it though.

Dang, so none of you just toss them in a drawer?

To hang them on the wall, you need wall. I don't have any to spare.

I've used magnetic strips, but seems like when I would pick one off the strip, another falls off or gets crooked or in the way. I didn't care for them, but then maybe those good magnets would make a difference.

I keep machine specific wrenches at the machine, usually on hooks of some sort attached somewhere on the machine. Then the general purpose ones in a drawer, but not all organized like some folks do. Probably why I avoid using those much.

Back