How do you store your taps and dies?

Funny that this just came up. I have one of those Vidmar cabinets, except mine is larger. Probably 32" wide. Filled with random stuff but I know where my stuff is! Payed $60 for it used.

Here is what I am currently working on. Who knows if my idea will work but basically I am building a master drill index. 1/16 -1/2, 1-60 and A-Z with room for more if I need it. We shall see how it turns out.. They don't call me the wood butcher for nothing.

View attachment 287447
If I was skilled at all, I would try something like that.....people such as yourself have skills I always admire!

My taps are all stored with the drill needed with them. That way when I need to tap something the drill is already there skipping the step of finding the right drill each time.

I put them in glass test tubes with stoppers, some hold several taps and the drill. Ended up not the best idea since a couple broke. I'd use plastic tubes if I replace the glass ones..

I store mine in two drawers in my side cab tool box from the very smallest to about 3/4 in one drawer and the larger in another drawer same with drill bits two drawers for them I have to many to try to organize and I'm retired so it does not matter that I have to dig thru them. and my tool box stays in one place now

Check out this page on Amazon:eek 2: I'm waiting for prime shipping, gonna be a long wait I'm thinking. LOL

LOL . You're gonna need that Mike ! :big grin:

I planning on storing all my taps and dies at someone elses place ! And they're gonna need more than 1 of those 60" vidmars ! :)

A very minor portion of taps , all in 1 drawer for once ! Making some progress .

IMG_0010.JPG

A very minor portion of taps , all in 1 drawer for once ! Making some progress .
That’s my problem.....not all in one place! When I am done that will be fixed!

That’s my problem.....not all in one place! When I am done that will be fixed!

Yes . I know the feeling . Look how fast the tap drawer grows in 30 minutes . And I have just a few center drills , c sinks and spotting drills too .

Good thing is , I only have 3 more Vidmars , 4 roll arounds and countless buckets to sort thru ! :rolleyes:

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

Yes . I know the feeling . Look how fast the tap drawer grows in 30 minutes . And I have just a few center drills , c sinks and spotting drills too .

Good thing is , I only have 3 more Vidmars , 4 roll arounds and countless buckets to sort thru ! :rolleyes:
your drawer with the short and tall, thin and fat taps is what my garage looks like right now. I had to move the 63 SW Corvette into the other garage to make room to be able to get the lathe and the mill into the garage (aka Surgical Suite, where I work on building my cars). I decided that since the place is in a total mess now was the time to get it back to being totally organized. I am pitching stuff I havent used and getting everything else organized. When I had started building the last car, '60 Corvette, I had the garage totally organized, then one of my buddies came over to help with the car...many nights and weekends and the garage went to hell! Now I am bent on getting it back where it was.....

I have the body shop guy doing my 70 Chevelle here at the house. Many deep breathing exercises are done when he keeps wrenches, and sockets by is work table, and not in the roll away. OK back on track.

Back