How do you store your taps and dies?

Here's a pic of my tap & die drawer
aec06dce20c6cab57397a473b2bef824.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Personally I have a mixture of taps, some purchased new, some purchased used, some inherited near new and some rusty old ones either inherited or acquired in auction lots. Most of my newer taps are in original packaging, like 3 tap sets in blow molded cases, odd individual taps in plastic or cardboard sleeves and sets in original cases. Older taps and dies don't get much respect, coffee cans. I do wipe them all down with WD40 or light oil after use. My shop is occasionally heated during the winter, no AC in the summer.

I did attend an auction where the deceased previous owner kept all of his taps in plastic kitchen storage containers filled with motor oil. I do not recommend this! What a mess!

I scored a 20-30lb box of taps at a flea market. Sorted (and de-greased) them over the course of a few months. I put them in small acro-bins.
I probably have (20) ea of 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8. Not so many #10, #8. The bins were convenient, they stack nicely, and I can grab the bin with the size I need, then go to the bench and hunt for the right one (course, fine, starter, bottom, etc)

my taps are stored loose; a compartment for each size. i don't intend to rub them togther of bang them against one another, so, i see no harm.

Those taps most likely are machine specific for reaching down thru clearance holes for threads . Kinda like a tap extension and handle all in one . Just a WAG but makes sense .

They wouldn't work on the bent holes I see in here at work ………………………...the taps are TOO STRAIGHT !! ;)

Back