How do you store your Tig wire.

A

Alan H.

Forum Guest
Register Today
Interested to know how you are storing your Tig wire.

I have 5 different Tig wire types and storing it is now a problem. This problem will grow of course.

How are you storing yours? Photos would be appreciated.

EDIT: I have some in plastic tubes, some in plastic bags, and some in boxes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alan,
Many guys will glue together 1.5" - 2" PVC with caps on the bottom and a threaded top splitting the distance 2/3 up allowing access to the rod without removing the tube. The tubes can be fixed to the side of your TIG cart in vertical rows. Mike (zmotorsports) had posted sometime back but I could not find it in search. I'm sure he will chime in, in due time, but you could PM him. He's a hell of a nice guy and will share his set up.
I, like dlane, keep them in the original clear sleeve and on the shelf. I keep a Miller cover over my machine that fits tight and this setup would not work for me. You could also cut 2" PVC sleeves and slide your clear sleeves storing them vertically on the rear of the machine using a bracket. It boils down to how much rod you plan on buying (size and type).
I carry two sizes of aluminum (40xx and 50xx series),three sizes of steel rod, one size of SS and one size of silican bronze rod.
Some dudes have 15-20 different Tig rods types but I have never had the need to go that crazy.
Paco

You can fabricate something like this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tig-weldin...et-with-tray-custom-MADE-IN-USA-/350746467624

I like the tubes to open close to mid point allowing access to shorter lengths of used rods. Tray would keep your dedicated wire brushes handy. You'll need to label them "Alum only, SS only, and Mild steel only. Many of you are probably aware of this but others might benefit from this info. The tubes are available if you choose to buy them. Making them the way I'm describing would require fittings, but if you wanted to save some $$ just use a coupling and bore out the top one end for a slip fit and glue the longer bottom end. The coupling would support the PVC tube by resting on the bracket. A sleeve should be used to prevent side/end slop if you want the bottoms to float without support. Imagination is your friend. :fat:
Paco

Thanks Paco, you reminded me of the Rod Guard brand. I store my stick electrodes in them and I hadn't looked to see if they made Tig wire holders.

I like the way they expose the wire when you open them up for easy picking. Looks like they'll hang well in a hanger too.

Anyone had any issues with the Rod Guard Tig wire holders?

1518711164523.png

Even come in purple if that floats your boat! I am blue man myself:

1518711465549.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used the rod guard holders for my tig rod for the past 10 years. I even have some rod that is ten years old in them and it still looks and welds like new.

Thanks Brad,
Now the other question - do you have the purple ones?

You know I’m not sure they offered that color back then. The purple does look pretty sporty

Back