How do you use adjustable parallels?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Hi Guys,

I bought a set of adjustable parallels on Ebay - Starrett Set # 154 A-E for about $65.
They have small screws holding them together.

Paddy OFernichur link=topic=2332.msg15549#msg15549 date=1306854836 said:
BTW, if you do lose a screw you should just call Starrett.

Too bad I wasn't built by Starrett. Wife has been telling me I have a couple of screws loose for years.

Last edited by a moderator:
dalee link=topic=2332.msg15548#msg15548 date=1306854193 said:
Hi,

While they are very handy to have for all around use like Paddy said. If you have a mill, they quickly become indispensable to have. I could not live without a set of them.

The one thing I would add to Paddy's comment is to get a proper fitting screwdriver for them. Either grind one to fit or buy one. I use a free one I got from a Braas Controls Engineer for working in electrical enclosures years ago. Those little screws are a bugger to find replacements for if you mess one up. And it tends to hurt if you use a badly fitting screwdriver that slips and you drive it into the palm of your hand. Ask me how I know. ;D

dalee

Dalee,

How do you use them on your mill?

As for the screws, I work on clocks, so I have a couple sets of Wiha precision screwdrivers- highly recommend them.

Best,

Nelson

Paddy OFernichur link=topic=2332.msg15555#msg15555 date=1306862907 said:
Pete link=topic=2332.msg15552#msg15552 date=1306861355 said:
The starretts are hardened and ground steel but they could still be damaged by using a hard surface on them. LOL, Anvils and a 20 lb sledge hammer wouldn't be a great way to adjust them.

Pete,

I've been on a grand tour of the facility and saw the No.154's being made. They are NOT hardened steel, they're made of cast iron and are soft. Be careful with them. I would not recommend hitting them at all.

The way I do it is to set the screw to have VERY slight tension, slide them open into a pre-set micrometer (held in my Mitutoyo micrometer stand), and lock the screw or screws.

David,

I will check Ebay for a set of the Universal Precision Gages" Starrett No. 995.

Thanks for the tip.

Best,

Nelson

Seems like I have a Starrett set, and a Brown & Sharp set. Last time I used them was to measure the standoff of an API ring gage on a tool joint. Stick it in, slide it until it fits, and measure across it with a micrometer. Other than that, measuring splines on the shaper is about all I use them for.

Back