How Does The Bevel Gear in the Knee get Oiled?

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I am going through my 1970 BP Milling Machine. I dismantled the Y Axis and removed the cross feed bearing bracket. I could then look into the knee lifting part of the mill. I have identified all the oiling points and purchased the proper device to oil them. The bevel gear is very clean and appears to be in very good condition but seemed a bit dry to me. (30 wt non-detergent right?)
My question, how, which oiler or is it manually oiled somehow??
Thanks, I have a bunch of stupid questions. I can't rest until I know all is clean, adjusted and oiled.
Jeff

I think when I took my machine apart it had grease on it. And I think when I re-assembled it I just re-greased it.

Grease makes sense but it also attracts debris/CHIPS. Grease?

If your BP is 48 years old and the gears look good then maybe it will be OK for another 48 years:)...Dave

After going through mine, I believe the only lube that gets to those gears and the bearing below it is what drips down from the X&Y feed screw nut. I put a sheet metal cover over mine to keep swarf out and converted the screw bearing under it to a basically sealed unit. When I get back home in a few weeks, I will be drilling and tapping a hole in the side of the knee and installing a zerk with a small copper line attached to it which will supply the occasional shot of grease to those gears. Going to the trouble, as I will be powering the knee soon. If you go to the end of this thread there are some pics and dialog. Hope this helps. Mike https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/bridgeport-x-y-feed-screw-nut-replacement.64253/

Back