How does this dial indicator rate?

chiroone

Registered
Registered
I just purchased the PM 835s, a Homge 5 inch vise and I’m looking for something to help tram the mill as well as set the vice. How would this dial indicator rate for the job? Does it appear to have all the attachments necessary? I’m a complete newbie to this hobby, last time I operated mill was back in high school, and I think Nixon might’ve still been in the White House if that gives you an idea

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitutoyo-5...018763?hash=item1a3480fecb:g:Hn4AAOSwWaRZq4b9

I think the one you propose would be a better choice; you do not need a magnetic base for the uses you are asking, the indicator would be held in a drill chuck or collet.

I think the mag base ones are far more versatile for his future, unforeseen, jobs. Now I did pick out a Noga that does not have the indicator with it. If going this route find an offer that includes a quality indicator.

My favorites for the what you describe are one of these three (depending on resolution needed).
http://www.tesatechnology.com/en-gb...models-p1930.htm?redirect=1&c=fr#.WmBgkP2WyM8
The link doesn't seem to show everything I intended. The model numbers are 599-7024-3, 599-7037-3 and 599-7038-3.
They are much more expensive and come new with only a swivel stem. Accessories, these days, seem crazy expensive to me. three to five times as much as when I was accumulating.

The Mitutoyo kit you linked will be an excellent tool and serve you well.
I like the long slender body which will allow you access to tight areas.
You'll want another rod and clamp to add to the kit so you 'll be able to tram larger diameter circle. One rod in the spindle, the second rod clamped at the appropriate angle and the DTI clamped to the second rod.
IMO, you can't have too many different indicator holders/accessories.

One day you'll probably want a .001" reading, dovetail mount DTI and a drop indicator w/ magnetic stand for additional options.

Last edited:
OK, (hear 'sigh' in the background and kicks the dirt between his feet)...

Since you are a bit rusty, I feel that a longer explanation might be in order...

1) it is nice that you propose a Mit indicator; It is good to buy the most dependable you can afford** and
2) I agree that a 'test' indicator style is easier to use for the purpose, however
3) If you are rusty and want quick results, a 60-0-60 .001 style is a better starting point.
4) Every shop should have a .001 indicator. A .0001 indicator is used less often. It is much harder to use, and many surfaces are hard to read with one.

I use my Mit .0005 test indicator for tramming my vise, and only use the Mit .0001 for special purposes. I use my .001 indicators on my lathe for centering and for quickie measurements on my mill.

You might consider the dovetail style indicator, as they are much more versatile, for instance the 513-402-10.

** there's nothing wrong with starting out with an offshore indicator. I have several for every day use, and they work well. I use my Mit's when the job is super critical or a wrong reading will compromise a lot of work.

Last edited:
You'll end up with more than one eventually. The machine purchase will prove to be your least expense. I usually tram a mill vise with a Starrett last word and use an entire different set up to tram the mill head when sweeping the table. A indicol works well and very convenient for mill work.
https://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Tool...8052&sr=8-3&keywords=indicol+indicator+holder

Edit: Not recommending this exact one but wanted to show you the tool. If you decide on one, make sure to measure your spindle OD as "unaversal" doesn't mean much in the machining world.

I think the mag base ones are far more versatile for his future, unforeseen, jobs. Now I did pick out a Noga that does not have the indicator with it. If going this route find an offer that includes a quality indicator.
The future is one thing, but the route you suggest does not work well with the tasks that he describes.

I bought this 3" diameter dial drop indicator last year, Mitutoyo 0-1" travel around $150.00.
Excellent for large diameter >24" or long work, it is also AARP® approved.

3inchindicator.jpg

Back