how far does the PM 727 stick out from the wall

Driveslayer45

Registered
Registered
HI all, i am hoping someone can help me.. i need to know how far the Y axis handle is sticking out, the length from the back of the chip pan to the farthest point on the handle would be great. i have one coming in tomorrow and need to try and determine if my chosen location will work for me.

Thanks

Just took a rough measurement, 31 inches from the back edge of the chip pan to the tip of the y crank handle, but you will need at least another inch if you account for the z axis crank and add a bit for finger room. hope this helps. I've really enjoyed my PM-727 hope you do too! :encourage:

Thanks that helps a ton. I am looking forward to it. Just not sure what to make first..

I need one more measurement if somebody can get it for me how tall is a rear column in the back that the head rides on?

It is approximately 34 1/4" tall but the motor at full z height is about 50"

For those of you that have the 727. How loud are the gears in the spindle head?
Robert

Mine is a 727V . It is pretty quiet and I have had it about a year and I am very pleased with it. Good luck with yours......Tom

After skinning my knuckles for the umpteenth time I took off my z-axis crank and made an adapter
that allows me to fit a 3/4" socket on it.

I can then slip a 3/8" drive socket on it and either use a ratchet or an electric impact wrench to raise or lower the head, but I had
several old-fashioned speed handle cranks and I find that, along with a 3/8" universal joint adapter, works well. This is
much faster than the factory crank. Since I can turn the crank from the front-left of the mill, I don't need much room
behind it.

The drill is a good idea. I've watched a video on adding power z with a DC motor.

What I don't know is how much torque is actually needed to drive the z, or even x and y axis. I know the nema 23 with 425 oz will do it but will the smaller ones with 170oz work? They are shorter than the bigger ones

I have not been around any other gear head mills, but I wouldn't consider my 727m to be loud by any means. It is not loud enough that I would feel the need for earplugs but it definitely is louder then my 16 speed drill press.

Back