How fast do you run your edgefinder?

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
I bought a new edgefinder because I accedently broke mine, the one which are double ended. One side with taper cone and the other with a 12mm and 5mm tip. The owner shop where I bought it said I must run it between 500 - 600 rpm,but I told him that as far as I know you can run it up to 1000rpm, and he said that it is too fast and you can damage the spring. Mine is a Kennedy not Starret like in the pic.
Screenshot_20220331-161433.jpg
By the way,when you use the taper cone to center a hole, you can only center it manualy and feel by hand......right? I never had one like this and to be honest I never worked with one like this. Advice is welcomed.

What is your take on this?

I use the taper end to find a center punched layout or a layout line, but find the other type that has a scribe like point works better.

I find that if I run it too slow I can't see it move off... if I run it fast about 1100, I get a nice movement fast and seems more accurate.
I am looking for a wiggler, there was a fellow on here that was going to look for me to see if he had one, but I have given up on him for things ;) .

I run my Starret at 1200, don't remember where I got that speed from, but seams to work.

Greg

I have another question for you. Do you sometimes use your edgefinder in your drill chuck or only in a collet,because some say a drill chuck is not accurate enough,but I saw a video on YouTube where the guy explained that there is nothing wrong with using a drill chuck because the edgefinder centers itself and it does not matter if the chuck has runout. I tend to agree with him,because if the point is that runout of the chuck is the problem,then in theory your machine should not have wear and tear on it for a edgefinder to work propperly. Again....thoughts????

I run my Starrett edge finder at about 800-900 rpm as Starrett recommends. I use a drill chuck to hold it quite often and find it to be just as accurate as a collet.

I run my Starrett @ 660 rpm, mostly because my mill is usually in that speed setting and I have seen one damaged by high rpm.

I have another question for you. Do you sometimes use your edgefinder in your drill chuck or only in a collet,because some say a drill chuck is not accurate enough,but I saw a video on YouTube where the guy explained that there is nothing wrong with using a drill chuck because the edgefinder centers itself and it does not matter if the chuck has runout. I tend to agree with him,because if the point is that runout of the chuck is the problem,then in theory your machine should not have wear and tear on it for a edgefinder to work propperly. Again....thoughts????
I always use a drill chuck with a wiggler runout does not matter, especially with the other type of wiggler as I described above. I have describe grinding a small flat on the cylindrical end of the edge finder, folks indicate that it increases the sensitivity when edge finding. Personally, when using the edge finder, I shine a strong light behind the edge finder and approach the work until the light disappears; it would be interesting to note which method is more accurate, the light disappearing or the edge finder skating off ---

Back