How fast do you run your edgefinder?

I run my Starrett @ 660 rpm, mostly because my mill is usually in that speed setting and I have seen one damaged by high rpm.
I run mine on whatever speed the machine happens too be running at, which is seldom very fast.

I always use a drill chuck with a wiggler runout does not matter, especially with the other type of wiggler as I described above. I have describe grinding a small flat on the cylindrical end of the edge finder, folks indicate that it increases the sensitivity when edge finding. Personally, when using the edge finder, I shine a strong light behind the edge finder and approach the work until the light disappears; it would be interesting to note which method is more accurate, the light disappearing or the edge finder skating off ---
I have done that to my edge finder. Not sure, the jury is out after a few years I still don't know.

I find that if I run it too slow I can't see it move off... if I run it fast about 1100, I get a nice movement fast and seems more accurate.
I am looking for a wiggler, there was a fellow on here that was going to look for me to see if he had one, but I have given up on him for things ;) .
there are 112 on fleabay right now, first page was averaging $14........

there are 112 on fleabay right now, first page was averaging $14........
I was looking for a quality one.
I may bite on one that I've had my eye on. I think it's overpriced , way over priced.

I usually run mine at 1200 on my manual or my vmc. I have a Starrett and el cheapo ones. Don't see any difference in them except price.

I have "occasionally" lost an edge finder setting up something on my vmc. I'll have the handle multiplier in .01 per click and not .001 and the tip disappears. So I don't get the super expensive ones anymore.

I run mine between 600 and 900 rpm as recommended by Starrett, it's interesting they pick that speed range in that one of them came with a card that said the minimum speed should be 300 rpm. I have tried some at speed s of less than 300 rpm and have found them to be less accurate, They can be off as much as .002" when run at low speed. At 600 to 900 rpm there doesn't seem to be any accuracy difference. they're always within .0004"

I much prefer to use a drill chuck. When removing a centre finder from a collet the end that is not in use ( usually the cone) can be hard to remove and the spring gets stretched.

Back