How fast do you run your edgefinder?

I much prefer to use a drill chuck. When removing a centre finder from a collet the end that is not in use ( usually the cone) can be hard to remove and the spring gets stretched.
My problem with the drill chuck is that cone side seems to bottom out inside the chuck before it is in deep enough.

I've run one at 3000rpm by accident. I ended up with 2 pieces of edge finder - one of which took some finding - a nearly straight piece of spring steel 6 inches long and a need for a fresh pair of pants.
Having lapped and reunited the pieces with a fresh spring, it's given me good service ever since.

I also remember seeing some recommendation to not run that style above 600-ish RPM but definitely find they work way better at 1000 rpm.
I really don't see how that incrase in RPM would damage anything, it's not like the tip is flailing around.
As long as the spring isn't getting stretched out into plastic deformation it shouldn't matter.
Possibly if the spring is too weak it might let the head go too far off-center and accidentally you got yourself a little flail.

Back