How good is a bad Bridgeport?

Depends on where you want to spend your time. You can pick up a very nice BP in my area (Michigan) for $3000. No work required to get it up and running. I looked at a project years ago for $1000. Head made a ton of noise, table had been drilled/milled multiple times, surface rust all over, broken crank handles, lots of play in the table (gib adjustment?), etc. I had to budget to buy something that didn't need to be worked on and was making parts minutes after it was powered up. You could save some money on a fixer upper, but around here the price difference wasn't worth it in my case.

Might be best to find a nicer machine and not have to rebuild it. I always ask the seller why they're parting with the item. Not that they'll be truthful, but maybe they're tired of fiddling with the problems and bought something that works. Here are some Texas-area Bridgeports and clones on CL.

Bruce

$1500 - Acer 10 x 50

$4300 Sharp 10 x 50 CNC machine with controller issues

$1750 Bridgeport that needs work

$6900 Looks to be recently rebuilt BP

$5900 Sharp 9 x 48

$4500 BP 9 x 42

$4000 BP - step pulley model

$7900 RAM CNC mill

My question is difficult to put into words, both the asking and the answering. Let me put it in terms I am more used to.
I've been a commercial mower for several years, putting it in those terms..... A commercial Scag zero turn rider is a pure joy to use. It cuts great, has lots of power to get through tall and thick grass and even light brush. A Commercial Scag with thousands of hours on it isn't anything a pro would keep using in most cases. But that same unit for a guy with a large yard he mows once a week would still be far and away better than the 38" rider he could get new at a big box store.

Does a B'port knee mill start out with such a high level of quality and accuracy that even after years of use and wear it is still better than an new square column?
The short answer is YES.

The Bridgeport milling machine, like the Scag mower you refer to is built for thousands of hours of dependable service. Both are built to serve the professional all day every day. With routine maintenance and minimal repairs it will produce quality parts and last for decades. Like the mower should you need parts they are available at a reasonable cost and in a timely manner. I have had my Bridgeport nearly 20 years (the machine is 47 years old) and have not had to purchase a single replacement part due to wear or damage. I have added a DRO and replaced a couple parts that were missing when I purchased it. I don't use the machine the same number of hours as in a professional setting, but I have used it as much as 60 hrs. a week, with the average being closer to 10-15 hrs. a week.

As for the import mill drills I'm not aware of what if any replacement parts are available. I do have a couple friends that went the import route several years ago. Both were professional machinists (now retired). They both used their machines extensively and after a few years both machines started to show signs of considerable wear. Both have now been replaced with Bridgeport's. One was replaced with a brand new machine to the tune of over $14,000.00 while the other was replaced with a well equipped used machine at a cost of around $3,500.00.

As for the mower, personally even though I now only mow an acre or so on a weekly basis I would never buy a cheap mower from a big box store. I believe in the long run it's better to spend the money up front for a quality piece of equipment. Nearly 20 years ago I purchased a JD 445 AWS garden tractor for mowing, hauling, plowing, and other landscaping work. I all the time I've had it the only thing it's needed are regular oil and transmission fluid changes, a couple batteries, and a new set of tires. It starts every time I turn the key and does everything I ask it to do without hesitation.

I use an Exmark Lazer Z 60 on my 2 properties that total 2 acres . Why ? Because most of the mowers are now built offshores . I have restored older IH and CC SGTs for years and have them all over the country . The newer stuff basically sucks with the vertical engines . I also own a Toro TimeCutter 42" for a backup cheap mower and I bought a new Ariens 52" ZTM the beginning of this summer . The Exmark and Toro now sit un-used . I also run a Kubota diesel with a 60" deck , front end loader , post hole digger , 6 foot rake , grader box , etc . Not sure what this has to do with mills , but heck , if you see a good deal on a BP go for it . That's a no brainer .

Avoid bottom feeding clapped out domestic or cheap-crap Asian machines. Find a quality machine in excellent condition with comprehensive tooling.

Avoid bottom feeding clapped out domestic or cheap-crap Asian machines. Find a quality machine in excellent condition with comprehensive tooling.

Sure. Buy once cry once however the challenge to this approach lately is finding such a machine for sale.
Even if you have as much as 5-10k in your pocket and are ready and willing to spend it on a mill - the truly truly truly i said it 3x nice ones (not “re-built” / painted etc) are rare. Really rare.
Folks that have the nice ones for the most part keep them. I say that because I happen to own such a machine and it will go to the grave with me.
So if you are patient, have money in hand, a truck/trailer ready to go and a bit of right place right time luck then I highly recommend waiting for a nice one then pounce.
Don’t hesitate or you will always regret it.

If you are really lucky and can find a Tree 2UVR in reasonable condition, by all means don't even worry about ripping you pocket getting the cash out fast, it will not last long. I scored one by getting lucky and answed the addwithin 5 minutes, made the deal on the phone, and had 4 other parties show up for it while I was loading it. Mine was a total steal at $1000, with a 2 axis DRO, AND a full pallet of tooling. The Tree is definatly better than a Bridgeport but they are very rare. This is not to say a Bridgeport is bad, far from it, I would not hesitate or spend time thinking about a Bridgeport that you find or it will be gone by the time you decide especially if it is a good one.

We had a few but too hard find parts for old Tree mill. Zps in WI may be the only option.
Crazy special spindle taper kind of like Cincinnati Toolmasters. Good machines but use proprietary collets.
Something R8 is going to be a better choice IMO.

On a side note- when you look for stuff in Texas you have to remember- from Houston to El Paso is 750 miles and Houston isn't even close to the eastern border. This is a BIG state. Texarcana is closer to Chicago than it is to El Paso.

I’ve had my little round column mill for a few years now I think. It’s still as good as it ever was.

If I get your mower analogy correct, I oughta just keep quiet. I never owned anything but a piddly little round column mill drill. The equivalent of a 10 hp Craftsman rider circa 1998. My lawn hasn’t suffered though, so far as my own experience can tell.

From the many professional machinists I know, a Bridgeport, well used, would still be leagues above it in every regard. Most would decline to even call my mill/drill a milling machine. They might call it a “hobby mill thing” or “a really nice drill press”...but not a milling machine.

I don’t know anybody in person that’s used the square column jobbers. It’ll probably be hard to find someone who’s had both, which is what you’re looking for really. Good luck! And not that you asked, but don’t buy anything sight unseen for fear of losing the deal of a lifetime. They made a whole bunch of these things. There will always be another one.

I guess it depends what you're after. I've got an Alliant, a BP clone from the 80's that I've owned for about 25 years, wouldn't trade it for a new Chinese anything. I've run the cheap stuff a few times and that was enough.
Just remember, you can't duplicate nice rigid heavy iron with light bench-top castings and that's the difference.

Back