How good is a bad Bridgeport?

Well, ASSUMING it's not worn out to the point that it'll cost more to bring it back to specs better than a new import. That's a real issue since Bridgeports these days can be upwards of 40-80 yrs old. Choose wisely.

I would pick one of the short-table Bridgeports; I think they made 32" and 36" sizes. The common long 42" tables are often bent and worn badly in the middle. Many avoid the older round ram machines, but they are essentially a large beefy version of the Clausing 8520, and are often available for less
I like the step pulley heads over the variable speeders, less to wear and repair
Mark

Well, ASSUMING it's not worn out to the point that it'll cost more to bring it back to specs better than a new import. That's a real issue since Bridgeports these days can be upwards of 40-80 yrs old. Choose wisely.
Was assuming since it says refurbished, it should be in decent condition... not a good assumption?

Not a good assumption.
To me reconditioned means a cleaning and paint.
Rebuilt means scraping/reground ways and bearings.

Not a good assumption.
To me reconditioned means a cleaning and paint.
Rebuilt means scraping/reground ways and bearings.
Thanks. Hopefully I find something in a private sale when the time comes. My biggest fear is that, as a beginner, I end up spending Thousands on junk.

I found a pristine Jet knee mill locally for a great price and jumped on it. The is no question in my mind that when a part doesn't turn out up to my expectations that the problem is me and not the mill... and I know that I can make the part better without being constrained by the mill.

I love old American iron and have a shop full of it but sometimes Asian iron makes more sense for me. I have no doubt that a practically new Bridgeport will outlast my Jet in any kind of daily business usage... but for my weekend hobby shop I know my Jet mill will have absolutely no problem outlasting me... by many, many years!

Use your own imagination and tell us what you come up with.
Well rats. I thought you might actually know of some mechanism or organization that offered that sort of service.
But, not knowing any professional machinists, and this not being much of an industrial town, I guess I'll just have to do the best I can, and hope for the best. Alternatively, I guess I could just buy a lesser machine new... hard to say which is the better bet. Kind of the point of this thread, don't you think?

Back