How high is Atlas shaper stand?

If you had a photo of the shaper on whatever stand it is on, that would cut down the possibilities as to what the possible heights are. But to answer the question of all possible heights, one must consult several catalogs. Atlas sold the cast iron legs either with or without the original factory wood top and shelf for the 10/12" lathes (in two different lengths), for the shaper, and for the mill. They also sold two different length hardwood cabinets for the lathes, plus one each for the mill and the shaper. And at a different time, they sold all of the same options in a steel cabinet. And unfortunately in this case, unless you have proof that it is sitting on the correct one sold for the Shaper, the Shaper will physically fit on most if not all of them. So the only safe option is a measuring tape,
As I mentioned above, I went out to the garage and measured mine at 33 1/2", which I see matches Atlas' specs for that style. Robert, I was wondering if you are accumulating a data base on Atlas shapers and/or mills and if so how does one access it in order to participate?

I fell into what I'm pretty sure is the exact same shaper you're describing. I would not want to haul it on the bed of a pickup truck without taking it off the stand. That would be very top-heavy. While your 14' trailer is clearly overkill, it might actually be preferable to use for the haul. The bed is probably lower than your pickup truck, so loading and sliding around may be less problematic. You could definitely strap it down better in the trailer - especially if it's a gooseneck.

The thread Eric referenced is excellent - very detailed and wonderful pictures.

Mine's not nearly as detailed as that one, but here's a link to it anyway. I took this machine very nearly completely apart, cleaned it, had some relatively minor repairs to make, rewired it, and put it back together. It's a great little machine. All I need to do now is figure out how to use it. When you get into it, if you have any specific questions, give me a shout. I'll be happy to share what I learned. Also, you'll find if you put out an APB, there are loads of members here who have experience with shapers - all makes, models and vintage. And all of them (us) are over-the-top willing to help. We're basically a great bunch of folks.

Good luck.

Regards,
Terry

Thanks, everyone, for all of the input. I spoke with the seller and he said he would be able to load it with this tractor. Not much more. I took the truck and lots of tools for cribbing, etc, thinking I would take it off the stand and slide it on the bed. When I arrived, he had it on the stand, on a pallet and was heading for my truck with fork attachments on his loader. I went with it. I strapped it high and mid machine, forward and backward - 4 heavy straps total. Removed the belt guard and strapped the motor in place. I took it easy to see how it would ride and felt like it was very secure. A nice 1.5 hours home and I had it off and in the shop last evening. It was in such good shape that I couldn't resist adding oil and taking a test cut with the sharpened tool he had in one of the two supplied holders. Bingo. I am in business. I will get a few pictures up to add to content of this forum as I dig in. Thanks again for all of your comments! Great group. Daniel

As I mentioned above, I went out to the garage and measured mine at 33 1/2", which I see matches Atlas' specs for that style. Robert, I was wondering if you are accumulating a data base on Atlas shapers and/or mills and if so how does one access it in order to participate?

Yes, the overall dimensions of the Shaper floor stand are 14" high by 31" long by 33-1/2" high. The hardwood and the steel cabinets that Atlas sold for the mill and shaper in the 40's and 50's are wider and about 2 inches lower.

On the database, it contains entries for any Atlas built machine tools, with the majority of entries being lathes. But there are mills and shapers in it. The database itself is a dBase 5 .DBF file. And because it doesn't lend itself to letting anyone make entries, the first (usually) thread in the Sticky area at the top of the Atlas Forum is where you would write up what you want included. I make the actual entries into the local master and every month or two I upload the current file to Downloads. I really need to edit the thread title of the thread. as it was originally started years ago to gather some info on one of the lathes. And the title still reflects that.

The .DBF file that can be downloaded can be opened by Excel and most of its clones since relatively few people will have the rather expensive dBase 5 or later.

I'll be happy to share what I learned. Also, you'll find if you put out an APB, there are loads of members here who have experience with shapers - all makes, models and vintage. And all of them (us) are over-the-top willing to help. We're basically a great bunch of folks.

especially to a fellow in the Brotherhood of the Shaper ;)

Reactions: tjb
Back