[4]

How I fabricated new tailstock locking-cam parts for my Rivett watchmaker's lathe

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

cazclocker

Purveyor of cheese.
I posted a few pictures of my recently-finished project in the POTD (project of the day) thread, but since it was for a watchmaker's lathe I thought I'd share my complete set of edited photos here.

Because there are 30 photos in all here, I decided to upload them to my Photobucket account and share a link to a slideshow. Hope this works. Click on the link...CLICK HERE

MikeWi

Active User
doesn't work for me. the album is marked as private.

cazclocker

Purveyor of cheese.
doesn't work for me. the album is marked as private.
Yes, I caught that - I just went in and marked my album as public. Try again. When you get to the slideshow, look at the lower-right corner...you'll see "Slow Medium Fast". Click on the "slow" setting - easier to read the text.

8ntsane

Active User
The link is working fine on my end Doug
Nice job, thanks for sharing :thumbzup:

itsme_Bernie

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
First off- beautiful work! What machine were you working with, using the Sherline chuck?

Second, nice job on the slide show! Very nice to be able to see your notes on each page.

Bernie

Tony Wells

Former Vice President - Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Great job. This is one hobby that allows you to expand or maintain your equipment, with your equipment. Can't say that about very many of them. Nice job on the slideshow too. And the pics will help me with rebuilding mine. I'm still collecting pictures of all watch lathes.

Thanks for posting that!

rafe

Active User
Nice project . Nice work . Thanks for sharing that !

bpratl

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Very nice and well done slide show.

cazclocker

Purveyor of cheese.
First off- beautiful work! What machine were you working with, using the Sherline chuck?

Second, nice job on the slide show! Very nice to be able to see your notes on each page.

Bernie
Thanks Bernie. I am using a Rivett watchmaker's lathe. Full pictures of it in my website, which is noted in my signature below. The 4-jaw Sherline chuck is not stock, as it would be too heavy to use on the Rivett. The back third of the casting has been removed and four cavities milled out to make it lighter still. Again, full pictures of the chuck are on the TOOLS section of my website.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks guys. I guess I was so happy about my first-ever project involving turning steel that I got carried away with the photo gallery.

Truebane

Active User
Absolutely beautiful! I like it very much.

NEL957

Active User
Doug
That was a beautiful job done on both parts. I just bought a Wolf Jahn and the tailstock was missing it lever to hold it down. It had the button so I just made up the pieces to make up the lever hold down. It is my first small lathe and if it would be alright may I pick your brain from time to time?
Nelson Collar

What is your web site?

NEL957

Active User
Doug
That was a beautiful job done on both parts. I just bought a Wolf Jahn and the tailstock was missing it lever to hold it down. It had the button so I just made up the pieces to make up the lever hold down. It is my first small lathe and if it would be alright may I pick your brain from time to time?
Nelson Collar

What is your web site?

LucknowKen

Great & informative job you did on the slideshow. Awesome end result as well.

mikey

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
You did a nice job on your parts and the slides, Doug; thanks for sharing.

I wondered why you didn't use gravers for the rounded handle and the domed pieces. They would have been the perfect tools for that application.

[6]
[5] [7]