How I Refurb Old 3-Jaw Chucks (17 pictures)

8ntsane - that is an excellent fixture! I will be stea... uh... borrowing that idea. Thank you and Charlie for sharing.

GerryR link=topic=1704.msg10769#msg10769 date=1303049507 said:
8ntsane - that is an excellent fixture! I will be stea... uh... borrowing that idea. Thank you and Charlie for sharing.

Gerry
Buy all means ,steal it , copy it. Hell , I did. I first seen this at another machine shop. The guy had a few different sized ones, including the 4-outer hole variety for doing 4 jaw chucks. The disc that was for the 4-jaw, was hanging on the wall. I had asked the guy about it. His response was, what"? you have to true up 4-jaw chucks too. My response was, ok, enough said, I get it.

Copy it, thats why I posted it.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
What angle are you grinding the jaws to when you do them on the belt sander?

In the first step the included angle is 120 degrees, so they close up with no gap.

A tool-post grinder was used to grind the various faces. Grinding the faces is not required in order to refurb the jaws but it squares up the chuck faces and gives it a fresh appearance.

Charlie,

Do you take any kind of precaution to protect the ways and other lathe parts from the abrasive grinding dust?

Charlie,

Do you take any kind of precaution to protect the ways and other lathe parts from the abrasive grinding dust?

I always cover the ways... usually with a rag and sometimes with cardboard. After I'm done grinding, I wipe down the lathe and re-oil everything.

Charlie

Charlie, how much runout do you put up with before you take the toolpost grinder to the chuck?

Pat

Charlie, how much runout do you put up with before you take the toolpost grinder to the chuck?

Pat
I regrind when the urge hits me. I have a hobby shop and most chucks I do don't need grinding more than one time.

Since I don't have and can't afford a tool post grinder, I am using a dremel attached to my lathe bit holder.

Before I got a tool post grinder, I used my Dremel to grind chuck jaws. It works OK for the smaller chucks but it is pretty slow going. Next I used an air die-grinder. That went faster but takes a lot of air to keep it going over the time it takes to do a pass on the jaws.

I bought the small Dumore at the sale of a company closing down. This year I found a larger Dumore on CL and I will use it next time.

Charlie

Back