How is this guy cutting a spiral bevel gear?

strantor

Active User
Registered
check out this video. What sort of sorcery is this? Has he removed the lead screws and left the table just floating, controlled by that rotary table?

Looks like the table is not moving, but he is using the rotary table to turn the mills head on its column, to get the right radius on the tooth cut. Watch right at the end, and you can see the linkage off the tube mounted to the rotary table he is turning, and it is moving the mills head. Then after the tooth is done, he indexes the rotary table the gear is mounted on to get the next tooth in line. Wish it was a longer video, but most of the action is at the end.

Intriguing.

There are a few videos showing tips & tricks with a Bridgeport that might show more detail.

Looks like the table is not moving, but he is using the rotary table to turn the mills head on its column, to get the right radius on the tooth cut. Watch right at the end, and you can see the linkage off the tube mounted to the rotary table he is turning, and it is moving the mills head. Then after the tooth is done, he indexes the rotary table the gear is mounted on to get the next tooth in line. Wish it was a longer video, but most of the action is at the end.

Intriguing.
Yeah i saw the linkage but my perspective was wrong. I thought it was seeing the table move and the mill head was in a fixed position. I see you're right. Makes a lot more sense.

Rotating the ram on top of the column!? Just how accurate can that radius be? And how would you set and measure it?

Before there were all these fancy CNC machines, machinists had to be creative. He is just demonstrating that creativity that too often has been lost. I am sure that it took a great deal of trial and error to get to what we are seeing. My hats off to him. It does appear to be working and from what I see, very well.

Last edited:
Pretty clever set up, goes to show what can be accomplished with what you have.

Back