How Many of You Guys Have Multiple Same Tools? Also, I Need Your Opinion

I am deeply affected by the virus Machinetoolcollectionitus. About any operation can be done on several tools.

With what I got from my dad, I could easily set up 2 more decently equipped shops. I'm working on a list, and will offer the duplicates to any of the brothers & sisters, and their kids. Several of the nephews now have homes, and may be interested. They will be free, with the stipulation that they do not sell or any others ways get rid of it until after I pass, then they will have full title.

Last edited:
+1 on keeping the vintage Craftsman and dumping the Wen. Got tons of multiples, finally starting to sell off some things I really don't use and more importantly in the way of new stuff....

Good questions, I recently had 3 drill presses plus my knee milling machine in the garage. I decided I really only needed one drill press plus the mill, so I gave one away to a friend and sold the second. My mill doesn't have a spacer so for some setups the z axis needs a little more room. There are also times where all that needs to be done is drilling so the drill press is usually faster -- I know its hard letting go of some of your old friends but === Jack

Susan, by now you have realized that you are talking to the biggest bunch of tool hoarders on the planet. :) But I would let the Wen go rather than one of those great old drill presses.

I'm not even going to list all of my duplicates. :grin:

One redeeming quality of the Chinese presses is that they usually have a crank table. Some vintage machines don't.
m

Id keep that craftsman and dump the wen, Id also buy the vise because I want one. I own two drill presses, parts for a third and a milling machine. Ive got doubles and triples on many items and can see myself buying more. I accept my addiction and have stopped trying to justify more tools, just wanting them is OK

Personally I'd let the Wen go too and put the little Craftsman on the fab bench. You have a good DP with the Atlas. Personally I don't have two DP's, got one old HD HF table model and my mill/drill and that covers everything I do. Just not enough space.

I had never thought about having two of those wood vises and didn't really pay attention to them until I found a Craftsman(not heavy duty like the one your looking at) in a bucket full of junk. I ended up taking it to work where I worked assembling machinery and that's where I came to appreciate it. I think I've only used it once for wood. We had tons of UHMW sheet around so I made soft jaws for it out of that. I also cut about a half inch off the tops to make a step in the jaws and it became even more handy. But having two of those on one bench, now you got my TAS going. But you have to have the same kind of vise don't you? So they will align when you clamp both?

Just counted, three drill presses , Shoptask 3in1, PM-727 mill, two bench grinders, 2x72 belt grinder. So it seems to me that multiples are quite normal.:confused 3: Im thinking if I cant drill a hole with one of my 5 machines capable of doing the job I can always get one of the several hand held drills out, same with grinding. I kind of think I may have a hoarding issue though......

I can't help with what tool to let go because I can't let any of mine go. To answer your question about duplicate tools I have many duplicates. I have 5 bench grinders, 3 3/8 1/2 chuck power drills, 4 1/2 power drills, 2 bench drill presses, 4 hand grinders, 2 port a bands, 2 welding machines,...but although I have more than one of many tools they all have their suttle differences that makes one a better choice over another at times depending on the task.
Nope, not a hoarder just like to make a task easier.

I long ago ran out of space but still keep adding. Got a wicked deal on a radial arm drill from a government auction and intended to get rid of the floor drill press. The mill is great when I need precision hole location, the radial is incredible for rigidity and raw power when I need big holes. But the floor one is so handy when I need a quick small hole or to chamfer that I just can't part with it. And it doesn't really take up that much space.

Greg

Back