How Many of You Guys Have Multiple Same Tools? Also, I Need Your Opinion

"And it doesn't really take up that much space."

Lol, spoken like a true tool fanatic. I did get offered a floor standing drill press for free recently and turned it down. But a screaming deal on a radial drill, ohhhh, I'd be in deep yogurt. Problem is I am getting tired of moving stuff around to bring a machine to bare even though they are all on castors. TAS is a horrible disease and there is no cure.

I gave away one of my two cheap drill presses about 6 months ago and I still think about it sometimes lol.

I don't have too many duplicates as far as machines, but I often think about how I could really, really use both a second hand drill and a second angle grinder.

Skipping tool changes on jobs requiring those tools is a HUGE time saver.

Also, keep the eye candy. :encourage:

I am deeply affected by the virus Machinetoolcollectionitus. About any operation can be done on several tools.

With what I got from my dad, I could easily set up 2 more decently equipped shops. I'm working on a list, and will offer the duplicates to any of the brothers & sisters, and their kids. Several of the nephews now have homes, and may be interested. They will be free, with the stipulation that they do not sell or any others ways get rid of it until after I pass, then they will have full title.
Waaas up, cousin! Remember me?

Personally I'd let the Wen go too and put the little Craftsman on the fab bench. You have a good DP with the Atlas. Personally I don't have two DP's, got one old HD HF table model and my mill/drill and that covers everything I do. Just not enough space.

I had never thought about having two of those wood vises and didn't really pay attention to them until I found a Craftsman(not heavy duty like the one your looking at) in a bucket full of junk. I ended up taking it to work where I worked assembling machinery and that's where I came to appreciate it. I think I've only used it once for wood. We had tons of UHMW sheet around so I made soft jaws for it out of that. I also cut about a half inch off the tops to make a step in the jaws and it became even more handy. But having two of those on one bench, now you got my TAS going. But you have to have the same kind of vise don't you? So they will align when you clamp both?
Probably a good idea to get same model. My 10" Columbian is 33 lbs. I do have a smaller woodworking vise I could use, but I really want the vise's to be the same size - for practicality and aesthetics

Back to your original question about duplicates, and all the answers that have been posted. Do you maybe get the feeling of having tried to get a sip of water ... out of a fire hydrant?

Probably a good idea to get same model. My 10" Columbian is 33 lbs. I do have a smaller woodworking vise I could use, but I really want the vise's to be the same size - for practicality and aesthetics

Sometimes having different vises can be more practical for their design features.

I picked up a Wilton woodworking vise at a flea market last year. It has a front jaw which swivels and can be raised to be a vise dog or can be removed if needed to increase maximum depth.

Wilton_bench_vise_7782.jpg

A very nice feature of this vise is the screw mechanism. Half a turn counter-clockwise and it releases so can be pulled in or out, then half a turn clockwise and the screw engages.

This is a 7in wide jaw. It replaced a 9in wide Grizzly quick release vise.

Back