• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

How much am i looking to spend on a decent DRO?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Pcmaker

I have a Grizzly 7x12 lathe and a Precision Matthews PM25 mill.

How much am Iooking to spend on DROs for each of these? I'll be fine with 2 axis DROs on both. The mill already has a chintzy battery operated Z axis DRO.

I was going to include a 3 axis DRO for when I ordered the mill, but it added $600 to the total.

Also into consideration is ease of installation.

Any recommendations that are on the affordable side?

RandyM

Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
What is your definition of affordable? I am sure it is different from mine as I think the $600 dollar option was very affordable.

ttabbal

I have these installed on the mill and have one waiting for the lathe.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Good-DRO-2...485599?hash=item237b007f9f:g:ZlgAAOSwpcxbPNMW

Good seller, in China, but ships overnight DHL.

They offer smaller scales for a little extra. You will likely want those for a mini lathe. Even those will be tough to mount on something that small. Another option that might be better for the lathe is iGauging remote reading scales. They are basically digital calipers without the head and with a remote display. Distance only, but probably good enough. I think the normal scales would mount to a PM25 without too much trouble, but I haven't used one so I can't be sure. Here's one thread here with some pics though. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/pm-25-dro-install.55624/

Cobra

Active User
Depending on what you call decent. I used the magnetic scales from DRO Pros.
They are a little more than some of the eBay stuff but you get very useful readout box and you get immediate, local support on the end of the phone.
I think the two axis for the mill was about 900 and the lathe was a little more.
Arrived in exceptional packing and with all the mounting hardware and instructions in english.

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Look on Aliexpress, there are many 2 and 3 axis systems for sale
Siton and HXX are two vendors I recall, fairly inexpensive

f350ca

Active User
H-M Supporter-Donating Member
I installed a 3 axis one on the mill last winter. Direct from China, couldn't be happier. In the $300 range with DHL shipping.

Greg

tjb

Terry
Ditto on Dan's post (middle.road).

Regards,
Terry

P.S.: Dan, did you ever finish your 3-axis installation?

Briney Eye

How much am Iooking to spend on DROs for each of these? I'll be fine with 2 axis DROs on both. The mill already has a chintzy battery operated Z axis DRO.

I was going to include a 3 axis DRO for when I ordered the mill, but it added $600 to the total.

The mill shouldn't give you much trouble.

I would suggest looking at Grizzly's T10893 DRO kit for your lathe compound for $140 (if they ever get them back in stock). I know nothing about the kit (or Grizzly lathes), just putting it out there as a possibility. Your compound is so tiny you're going to have a much greater challenge mounting any other kind of scale(s). You will still have to do the carriage, but that's going to be much easier (I think).

I can see some possibilities for setting it up with TouchDRO, but you would have to do quite a bit of work. If you're up for that we can continue the discussion.

RJSakowski

For the mill,I would look at the three axis glass scale DRO's. I believe you can get the them from China within your price range. The reason for three rather than two axes is you have and integrated readout system and you will appreciator it more and more as you use it. If you get the two axis, you won't be able to add the third as the readouts are different.

The lathe is a different matter. Because of the small size, the glass scales will be difficult to fit to the cross slide. I have the Grizzly G0602 and used the iGaging readouts with Yuriy's Touch DRO for that reason. I have three axes with the third being the tailstock on mine. The magnetic scale mentioned by Mike above might be a possibility.

Winegrower

Swarf
Registered Member
By all means check out iGaging DROs...you will be surprised at the low price. I've added this to my 10" Logan, and for hobby use can't see why I'd want to spend any more, really.

Smithdoor

Active User
FYI DRO do not last for ever I found used on 5 days a week they live about 5 years
I have set DRO for mill and still in the box from 2008
All work to date I have used 1 and 2" dial indicators

Dave

P. Waller

FYI DRO do not last for ever I found used on 5 days a week they live about 5 years
I have set DRO for mill and still in the box from 2008
All work to date I have used 1 and 2" dial indicators

Dave
AcuRite, these will last for decades, they are way more expensive then many are willing to pay for however, Heidenhain and Mitutoyo more so.
If used 6-8 hours per day everyday for years it is well worth the cost.

Pcmaker

I'm starting to lean on just buying the DRO from Precision Matthews for my mill, the same site that I bought the mill from.

[6]
[5] [7]