How much am i looking to spend on a decent DRO?

For the mill,I would look at the three axis glass scale DRO's. I believe you can get the them from China within your price range. The reason for three rather than two axes is you have and integrated readout system and you will appreciator it more and more as you use it. If you get the two axis, you won't be able to add the third as the readouts are different.

The lathe is a different matter. Because of the small size, the glass scales will be difficult to fit to the cross slide. I have the Grizzly G0602 and used the iGaging readouts with Yuriy's Touch DRO for that reason. I have three axes with the third being the tailstock on mine. The magnetic scale mentioned by Mike above might be a possibility.

By all means check out iGaging DROs...you will be surprised at the low price. I've added this to my 10" Logan, and for hobby use can't see why I'd want to spend any more, really.

Ditto on Dan's post (middle.road).

Regards,
Terry

P.S.: Dan, did you ever finish your 3-axis installation?

Nope not yet. Haven't had enough free time to get it mounted.

FYI DRO do not last for ever I found used on 5 days a week they live about 5 years
I have set DRO for mill and still in the box from 2008
All work to date I have used 1 and 2" dial indicators

Dave

I have a Grizzly 7x12 lathe and a Precision Matthews PM25 mill.

How much am Iooking to spend on DROs for each of these? I'll be fine with 2 axis DROs on both. The mill already has a chintzy battery operated Z axis DRO.

I was going to include a 3 axis DRO for when I ordered the mill, but it added $600 to the total.

Also into consideration is ease of installation.

Any recommendations that are on the affordable side?

FYI DRO do not last for ever I found used on 5 days a week they live about 5 years
I have set DRO for mill and still in the box from 2008
All work to date I have used 1 and 2" dial indicators

Dave

AcuRite, these will last for decades, they are way more expensive then many are willing to pay for however, Heidenhain and Mitutoyo more so.
If used 6-8 hours per day everyday for years it is well worth the cost.

I'm starting to lean on just buying the DRO from Precision Matthews for my mill, the same site that I bought the mill from.

Back