How much can I take out?

I have no idea what I'm talking about...here to learn. Could you a 1/2" HSS roughing tool? Seems like you could take bigger bites and feed faster and finish off with one light pass with the 2" carbide? I made myself a carriage lock and now i think i know it all!

I was gonna say that but I figured no one would know WTH I was talking about! Good call though!

I would not use a triangular insert tool for roughing with a facemill.
Actually I would not use a triangle for roughing in any machine, finishing yes roughing no.
Seco makes excellent tools that are in the center of the roughing/finishing spectrum, I suspect that they will not do what you require however.
You will likely need 2 tools.

Are 4 flute end mills considered roughing tools? Or do I need 2 fluted end mills for that?

I guess I'll try using my 1/2" 4 flute end mills tomorrow and see if that does a faster job.

I was thinking the 4 (or more) flute. I'm ordering additionally with the chip breakers, but i think that is more advantageous to side milling where it seems you are more so facing. Again, I'm here chime in and learn a thing or two. If your using 4 or more flute and taking some big bites, chip evacuation is key.

It's good to have a couple of roughing mills in your collection, cobalt preferred. They look like regular endmills but with a "corncob-ish" appearance.
m

Are 4 flute end mills considered roughing tools? Or do I need 2 fluted end mills for that?

I guess I'll try using my 1/2" 4 flute end mills tomorrow and see if that does a faster job.

No, a standard 4 flute is not a roughing end mill.

Roughing end mill..... this one happens to be a 6 flute, but they come in 3 or more flutes. Most common in a 1/2 inch is a 4 flute

1536295766792.png

350 fpm is way too low for Carbide. I run a 2" 4 insert cutter at 960 rpm and 1 mm DOC and have no problems,(RF-45 clone),up to 1640 rpm,(max), and .25 mm DOC for finishing in MS.
Little Machine Shop has a handy calculator: https://littlemachineshop.com/Reference/CuttingSpeeds.php
I use the Turning speed for Carbide for the Mill calculator and never had a problem.

Back