How much power can these spur gears handle?

I think the 97 jeeps still used the speed sensor in the back end of the tranny, for the speedometer, and the cruise control speed sense. But if it uses the tone ring in the differential, for both the ABS, and speed sense, it would not be hard to overcome, and adapt.

I wasnt even considering petrol engines......a 6/71 GM in reasonable running order is $300-500......8/71 s are $300 a ton scrap price....a gasoline motor will break the bank.................I know one guy tried running a moderate size shop with a 50kva modern hire genset...........fuel cost (diesel) was over $1000 a week.

Most PTO's regulation is pretty good within working range on modern tractors so a clutched,plate or cone, gearbox is definitely a go.
My tractor has a manual
I wasnt even considering petrol engines......a 6/71 GM in reasonable running order is $300-500......8/71 s are $300 a ton scrap price....a gasoline motor will break the bank.................I know one guy tried running a moderate size shop with a 50kva modern hire genset...........fuel cost (diesel) was over $1000 a week.
Oh. I totally misunderstood; my apologies.

Yeah I feel like going that route is going to be over my head. The 6/71 engines I can get for <$1000 as a rebuild core but I sure don't know enough about diesel engines (or engines, period) to try and rebuild one myself. I know enough to know that I don't know enough and don't have the tools to do it. So I'd be looking at rebuilt ones, which are about $15,000 USD

My tractor has a manual
@NortonDommi
The above is a fragment of a sentence and I'm not sure how this ended up in my message, but I'm unable to delete it as the 30 minute window has expired. It was from yesterday when I started to reply to this but decided it wasn't important so I moved on. I guess somehow it was lingering somewhere as part of a multi-quote. But now that I started the sentence I may as well end it.

My tractor has a manual throttle handle like most tractors; I can move the handle forward to increase RPM and backward to decrease, and it's like holding your foot at a specific position of an accelerator pedal. Any increase in load will decrease RPM and vise versa. But it also has a digital throttle mode which is more like a cruise control. If I put it in that mode, then I can choose from 2 or 3 (can't remember) stored RPM value setpoints or choose the current RPM as a setpoint, and then increase/decrease minute amounts from there, via "+"/"-" buttons. In this mode, the tractor will compensate for changing loads and maintain a steady PTO RPM. I've never connected to anything like this where RPM needs to be steady so I've never actually used the feature aside from playing around with it, having the user's manual in my lap on day #1. But I suspect any tractor with this feature will work quite nicely for a generator prime mover.

Hi strantor,
Many tears ago I worked in a fuel shop and generators were the most fun to set up as the speed regulation was so tight, had one incident where I just couldn't hit spec no matter what. I wanted to change governor springs but warranty said no. This was on a new Lister genset going to one of the Cook Islands. I blueprinted that pump, I tried a different pump, nothing I did would work. Finally an 'expert' was bought in from one of the rural branches and I spent a lot of hours at the bench being supervised. I blew my stack at about 3 am and grabbed the manual that couldn't leave the hands of the expert and went through it. Footnote in tiny print at the bottom said the springs had been changed! 20 minutes later it was bang on. Never ever trusted anybody to read specs to me again unless I've read them first.
Point of that little rant was that in that case it was destined for a hospital and smooth regulated output was vital as blips could affect sensitive equipment.
Am I correct in assuming that you are powering a house? Only occasionally? Most grid systems have some variation over a day so as long as you don't overload anything it should work.
Speed droop for automotive use is a lot different than for generator use. I've been out of the game for a while but as said most modern tractors have good speed regulation as PTO loads can vary quite a bit.
I'm wondering if there is an external input that you could loop in from the generator?

Speed regulation isnt critical running 3 phase motors.,only when generators are parallelled,or otherwise hooked up to a network,or electronics...If the generator.....actually an alternator...........pulls more power than the output of the motor,you will have speed droop ,no matter what......I imagine the alt is a Cat SR4 and with a 3408T Cat motor the set was guaranteed to recover in less than one hundred cycles,or 5 secs,....(.input power 400hp.)

Last edited:
Back