How Much To Rebuild Clausing 8520 Head?

Rootpass, it sounds like the quill pinch bolt might be a bit too tight. You could back it off a bit, but it is a very touchy adjustment.

Terry, I have the same issue on a new to me 8520. I'm a noob so please forgive the simple question - is this the "quill pinch bolt", seen here highlighted?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-20 230745.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-20 230745.png
    168.7 KB · Views: 7
- is this the "quill pinch bolt", seen here highlighted?
Yes. it is sometimes a "bit sensitive" to get the right amount of tension. Start by loosening first, then move the quill up and down to make sure it's free. Then add some tightness to the bolt. and see if it still moves easy. it'll take a bit of trial & error to get it where it moves easily but feels solid.

Supposing I was lucky enough to snag one of these and the spindle bearings turn out to be shot, how much work and cost to replace? What if the spindle itself is shot? I imagine there are NO parts available except used- right?
Mark S.
Search Bench mill choices. I have an on going rebuild of my 8530. The most expensive bearings in the head are the 2 lower matched set. These are pricy. I paid 189 for a set off ebay. Made in England. Clausing has a lot of parts available. It's an easy rebuild. Just take your time and keep e everything clean. And do not under any circumstances grease your new bearings no matter what someone on some forums advises. I called Clausing and they laughed, no grease ever. Just a good quality 20 wt non detergent oil. All of your new bearings will come oiled, mine did. Check out my build.
Mike

Back