[How-To] How (not) to silver braze a chamfering tool

Norppu

Registered
Registered
Forumshot1.jpg Forumshot2.jpg

I need a chamfering tool and since my last tool had a bad caries it dropped its tooth.
Apparently the bond between the tool shank and the blade was not good.
So I started this task thinking that it is easy to do with my kiln.
I could not have been more wrong.
It took me three failures to finally get it right.

In this video I am using:
- Weiler Matador SV (1972) Lathe
- Schaublin SV-51 (1955) Milling machine

Join the channel:
I upload new videos every other week, usually more frequently.
If You want to see more of my videos, click LIKE & SUBSCRIBE!
You can also subscribe here

The video is suitable for the hearing impaired and persons who have difficulties in understanding my spoken English.
The video has hand written subtitles in English, German and Finnish languages.

Very interesting Esko. The final product came out great.. Thanks for sharing, I enjoy your videos.

Enjoyed this one.
Surprising outcome, I would have thought the oven would have done a better job of heating the tool and would have done a better, stronger, brazed solder joint.
Just shows the humble propane torch is still king for this job.

Enjoyed this one.
Surprising outcome, I would have thought the oven would have done a better job of heating the tool and would have done a better, stronger, brazed solder joint.
Just shows the humble propane torch is still king for this job.
Believe me, I was really surprised myself. After giving this some thought one reason might be the thermal transition. The silver solder tends to run towards heat and when a propane torch is used, one can control how the workpiece is heated. In the oven, the workpiece warms up evenly and that might not be as good as one might think.
Another thing is the gravity. Silver solder runs downhill. With iron, the capillary force is so weak that the solder does not run uphill. By keeping the workpiece tilted, the solder runs where one wants it to run.

I was wondering was it just too hot in the oven?1000 degrees?
I read that silver solder doesn't like direct heat and needs indirect heat to make the capillary action work.
Would the oven do a better job if it was a bit lower in temperature? just a thought! cheers

Back