How often do you measure over 12"?

NCjeeper

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My mics and calipers go up to 12" and I hadn't needed to take a precision measurement over 12" so far in the last few years of home shop machining. Just wondering if its worth picking up a 18" or 24" caliper for the off chance I may need one. Just don't want to spend money on tools I may never use. For those that own larger measuring tools how often do you use them?

Just a hobbyist here, but I have never needed more than my 8" calipers.

David

I have a set of 12" calipers. Haven't used them for years.
I have micrometers to 5" and haven't used a 4 or 5 in a long time.
A friend of mine with a tractor repair shop bought a set of mitutoyo mics from 0-12" and was very proud of them.
I was looking at them and thinking to myself "at least there are 3 in the set that might get used"
Usually hoping I don't need to measure anything that big that accurately.

I have 12" vernier calipers I use fairly often, but it's because I love how they feel and they are considerably more rigid than typical dial calipers.

I seldom measure anything longer than 3" to any serious degree of accuracy.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'm really surprized you didn't get more, oh sure, absolutely, you will need them when that big job comes along, and you will never be able to get by without an 18"-24" so go ahead and Super Size to a 36". :big grin::big grin:

Go with the vernier scale and then it doesn't matter how long it waits to measure something, it will always be ready.
http://www.starrett.com/metrology/p...-Hand-Tools/Precision-Measuring-Tools/123z-36

Edit; It's always good for a chuckle when I visit my friends shop and I can't resist running my finger through the dust of the wood case for his 72".

Last edited:
My longest is a 12" Mitutoyo dial caliper which I take out of its box every now and then. Glad I have it.
What do you guys do to accurately measure something longer than the longest caliper or micrometer in your tool box.
I was thinking of trying to do-it-yourself with a DRO turned into a caliper. Any other suggestions for a small home shop?

Grumpy

Back