How often do you measure over 12"?

My mics and calipers go up to 12" and I hadn't needed to take a precision measurement over 12" so far in the last few years of home shop machining. Just wondering if its worth picking up a 18" or 24" caliper for the off chance I may need one. Just don't want to spend money on tools I may never use. For those that own larger measuring tools how often do you use them?
You can't have enough tools but when your calipers are not long enough I use the bed of the mill. clamp the item down and measure it with the DRO.
Realistically only ever used it once on a motor shaft that was rebuilt and I wanted to ensure the end play was correct.

You can't have enough tools but when your calipers are not long enough I use the bed of the mill. clamp the item down and measure it with the DRO.
Realistically only ever used it once on a motor shaft that was rebuilt and I wanted to ensure the end play was correct.
Ahh good thinking.

No a tape is not ether
Try the Starrett Vervier calipers model 123z
Master bar .
They are extremely accurate.
All you need to do is learn how to use them
The feel is a little tricky but they are very very accurate. 50 vernier divisions on them .
The Pi Tape reads to .001" how is the vernier caliper any better?

Actually both vernier caliper AND Pi tape are better! Pi Tape for diameters and Vernier caliper for lengths and short IDs and ODs.
A dude cannot have too many tools!

Have a pair of 12 inch digi absolute mitutoyos, and a pair of 8 inch vernier mitutoyos too. Would use the 12 inch pair every day as they are just so easy to read! As for mics, they go to 6 inch and 150 mm on the ex and 300 mm on the internals, 8 inch and 150 mm with the depth. Anything over that I borrow off a friend who is a general engineer. Only happend once in 10 years I think.

David

I have a couple of PI tapes I use to measure OD's and some ID's of rubber goods. Ever try to measure a piece of round rubber using calipers or mics? Rubber is not always round, definitely spongy. I have fought with rubber vendors on dimensions being out of tolerance, and when they pull out a PI tape and measure, guess who's right now?

I have a couple of PI tapes I use to measure OD's and some ID's of rubber goods. Ever try to measure a piece of round rubber using calipers or mics? Rubber is not always round, definitely spongy. I have fought with rubber vendors on dimensions being out of tolerance, and when they pull out a PI tape and measure, guess who's right now?
Pi tape
You are going to have to tell me what the Pi stands stands for .

Not trying to steal any ones thunder but pi is the circumference of a circle divided by it's diameter. My dictionary says this is of Greek origin. As you know it is also used to find the area of a circle.
Have a good day
Ray

Back