How Old Is My Baby??

There is a long thread at Garage Journal about Wilton vises. Some of those guys are very knowledgeable about them. I'm sure if you posted there you could get it dated.

Susan--that is a very nice vise you have added to your mountain of them--we would really like to see a picture of all your vises--we all have many vises of all sizes and would enjoy seeing yours--Dave
Hi Dave,
My 1 car garage shop is still under construction, lol. However, I think I am near the end of adding vises to my collection. I am right now in "negotiations" with a seller who doesn't realize how valuable his vise is. The seller is 350 miles away. The vise is probably the longest bullet vise made. Fortunately, I have a friend who lives near the seller who will pick up the vise for me. The vise is 32 inches long, has 6" jaws, is hydraulic, and COMES COMPLETE WITH HYDRAULIC PEDAL!!!! Yes, my 1 car garage, where I can barely squeeze through to get to my washer and dryer, can totally accommodate a 32" long vise. I will post pics once I have it. I will probably keep it for bragging rights until I should need emergency money. I am sure this will sell fast on Ebay. The vise is a WiltOmatic.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all friendly comments and info. After some further research, I now can say my baby bullet was made in 1973. Turns out that, when Wilton moved from Chicago to Schiller Park in 1957, they had a ton a baby bullet body castings already made. So, they continued to used these premade castings that said "Chicago," even though the vise was assembled at Schiller Park. Hense, this explains why almost all baby bullets will have Chicago imprinted on its sides (some will say "Schiller Park," but they are less common than the "Chicago" babies.

All I can say, is that's the cutest little baby (vise) I've ever seen!

Ray

I have his bigger brother and at one time I had the giant gran daddy 8" , but needed money and sold it God I wish I still had it . But my 6" will do .

Well, there is now a slight delay in getting that WiltOmatic vise. I ran into a cute, yet powerful, horizontal mill at a deal of a price. It is from the tool room of some corporation that closed down. I have a 1977 Jet mill drill, and have been wanting a horizontal mill for awhile. The seller accepted my $500 offer for the mill, arbor and cutters. I have til the end of the week to pay him. I have come to the point where I can no longer have the best of both worlds. I kept on saying I would somehow be able to have a full woodworking and metalworking workshop in my 1 car garage. I originally was focused on woodworking, then I got bit by a metalworking bug where I bought more machinery than that was physically possible to fit in my garage. Given this realization, and the fact that I offered $500 when I only have $200 right now, I will have a Craigslist and ebay sell off of woodworking stuff, and some metalworking stuff. One item I will mention here. Maybe one of you guys would want to buy it, or maybe not. I think it has the potential to be a little valuable. It is a vintage gooseneck lamp that was specially made to clamp onto a metal lathe carriage and ride along as the carriage moved towards the spindle. According to my old friend who gave me this lamp, and a million other things, the lamp originally was sold with a South Bend 10. I don't know if it was the 10 heavy or light. I searched everywhere online, and only found 1 picture of a similiar lamp. So, if you want to buy this unique and rare old lamp, have PayPal, and want to help me raise money so I can buy that Multi Miller 1940's horizontal milling machine, please send me a private message. I can also send you a long list of other things up for immediate sale and shipping, including Kurt brand spring loaded parallel keepers for 6" Milling vises, and a NOS, never used Airlux welding fume eliminator (source capture). Here's your chance to get it before it goes on Ebay. Thanks :)20180420_144153-1.jpg20180420_144022-1.jpg20180420_144058.jpg

Back