How portable is a 7x16 lathe?

Just a final update on this. My taig lathe arrived today. It's the perfect weight for my lifting ability and the conditions. I got it upstairs with no issue, even in a foot of snow. And it turned my first part accurately to within 0.0005" (the resolution on my cheapo calipers, for what that's worth) on my first time running a lathe in years. I'm a happy camper :) The part is an arbor that I can put in a 1/2" collet and screw a 1/4" NPT fitting onto.
20210315_170514.jpg20210315_173551.jpg
P.S. Ignore what I was doing with the toolpost in the last picture, that's not how I had it set up for turning. I just used it like that at the end to very gently debur the ID after parting.
P.P.S. I have a micrometer, but I wasn't gonna make another trip in the snow to fetch it for a simple part like this.

You done good, welcome to the club. The endless money hole club. Soon you will be watching Craigs list for more machines and tools. :beer:

Congratulations. You will enjoy the Taig lathe. I know I enjoy mine.

You might be able to mount a couple of these on it or a plywood base. I have used these for items that are awkward to handle.

Attachments

• Handle.jpg
    Handle.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 102
Nice.

Is there any way you can put in a small crane type of lift? Unistrut with a trolley as an example, you aren't lifting that much weight. Many options for lifting.

I'd be tempted to try to have it in a 'steamer trunk' on wheels kinda thing. Perhaps big enough wheels to go up the stairs, but you could carry more weight presumably and save trips (and box in the lathe in a way that protected it).

Congratulations!!!

What TAIG lathe model did you end up going with?

Back