How Reliable Are Variable Speed Controls

herrwood

Registered
Registered
Looking to get a mini lathe to play with , was looking at a few of the smaller grizzles the 7x14 would most likely satisfy my needs but not a real fan of electronic things that usually break and i can't fix. So I see the 9 x 19 they have is a manual setup (saw the 10 but that won't work for the space I have).
So the question is how reliable are the electronics and these smaller lathes, I do realize a little more set up time as i have a belt driven wood lathe.

Often with electronics they will fail either early on because of a bad component or last for a long time and then fail. Some components have a finite lifespan, like electrolytic capacitors. On these type of machines there is usually a single control board that is easily replaced and would be covered by the warranty if early on. I do not see this as a limiting factor.

Often with electronics they will fail either early on because of a bad component or last for a long time and then fail. Some components have a finite lifespan, like electrolytic capacitors. On these type of machines there is usually a single control board that is easily replaced and would be covered by the warranty if early on. I do not see this as a limiting factor.

That does make sense , I do realize the electronics make operation easier then making belt changes.

Back