[How do I?] How should I make this?

Barncat

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I want to make a new top for my wife's tea kettle, to replace the plastic one that keeps melting. The plastic one has little tabs to keep it secured on the kettle. How do I make a top out of stainless with spring loaded little tabs? Or do I even need the tabs, with the weight of the stainless compared to the existing plastic?IMG_20181128_163756024.jpgIMG_20181128_163822458.jpg

I find the somewhat sad part about our hobby is that you can buy a new teakettle for a lot less money and trouble. The happy part is that to make this cap, you'll justify some new tools.

Is the part on the right some sort of hand hold? If so a metallic one may get too hot to hold, especially if the plastic one is melting.

David

Hmm, wood might be a better medium. And you still get to use your machines!

It is a handle on the side. I was thinking of having a small diameter ss rod coming out of the top, with a hardwood sleeve over it. Something similar to this.images.jpeg

I find the somewhat sad part about our hobby is that you can buy a new teakettle for a lot less money and trouble. The happy part is that to make this cap, you'll justify some new tools.
I agree, I am sure a chunk of stainless will cost more than the kettle.

Throw away the original concept.
Think about your actual objectives, design a part to meet those objectives within your skill set and machine tolerance.
All is doable. You just gotta rethink the opportunity.
We often become hampered by believing that OEM is necessarily better.
OEM may have been the cheapest alternative....

Daryl
MN

I was considering that. My thought was if it didn't need the little tabs, to make the part with a slight taper, so the top was bigger one than the the bottom. It would go down into the neck a little bit, but mostly sit on top of the kettle. I think the plastic original only had the tabs since it was so light, boiling water would have bounced it off. Maybe the heft of a metal part would keep it nestled on enough to not need to clip on.

Good.
Keep workin it!!
What else?

Daryl
MN

Back