[How do I?] How should I make this?

Another consideration is whether the angle when pouring the last of the water out will cause the lid to fall off. I like Alexander's suggestion of using an O-ring as a detent. It might not have to be very tight to work.

I would suggest keeping some kind of positive retaining mechanism for the lid, so when the pot tips over, the lid doesn't just fall off and the hot contents get to run out with little resistance.

Another consideration is whether the angle when pouring the last of the water out will cause the lid to fall off. I like Alexander's suggestion of using an O-ring as a detent. It might not have to be very tight to work.
In its current form, the lid is meant to be removed for pouring, so that isn't much of a concern.

Thanks for the help and ideas everyone!

If you must remove the lid to pour, is this pot somehow vented? If not there may be a vacuum formed under a tight fitting lid that will prevent it from being removed. We have pans that will do that.

If you must remove the lid to pour, is this pot somehow vented? If not there may be a vacuum formed under a tight fitting lid that will prevent it from being removed. We have pans that will do that.

Isn't that what the hole in the top is for? That and maybe to whistle when the water is hot.

I too am faced with this dilema. My wife broke the top on her favorite Denby teapot. The last time we were in the UK, we stopped in the factory to get a new top. Unfortunately, the pot was out of production and none of the replacements came close.

I was able to glue the pieces together with super glue so I could make a SolidWorks model and it would be an interesting exercise for the Tormach CNC. The thought was to make it from Ultem, a high temperature plastic often used for kitchen utensils. However, the 4" diameter x 2.5" long piece of Ultem would cost over $20/inch. Somehow, paying over $50 plus shipping seems a stronger deterrent than the idea of discarding an otherwise good teapot.

I am still waiting to find a super deal on the raw material. It's only been eight years.

That's patience right there.

I guess that I could always take up pottery.

One positive about making a replacement cover is that it reenforces the need for all the machines in a way that's near and dear to the heart of the missus. The very first thing that I machined on the Tormach was an aluminum latch to replace the broken plastic latch on the wife's Cusuinart tea kettle.

Instead of tabs, some captive ball bearings with tension springs could be used. Maybe make them out of nylon so they wont score the teapot if it's made of glass.

The solution might be simpler: water boils at 212, so maybe it's not steam melting the lid but the burner turned up too high, especially if gas. Your stove may have adjustments so you can turn down the maximum flame. Just don't tell the boss lady. Or maybe that chinesium tea pot is poorly engineered.

Back