How Times Have Changed! my 1st handgun

The pendulum did swing.
Remember a thing called a rifle rack?? In a pick-up truck??

No respectable high schooler would even show up at school without a gun rack in their pickup in the early 80's. I only had a .22 and hoped no one would ask to see what I had.

It wasn't at school, but I cannot read this and not relay this-

My cousin and I grew up learning to shoot and hunt with our GrandPa. From the age of 5 or 6, we were taken along, and allowed to test what we were being shown. When the two of us were 12, we asked if we could take the 12 gauge shotguns out by ourselves, no old men around.

That Old Man knew what we had learned, and showed it when he simply said "Be careful".
My cousin and I still hunt together, 50 some odd years later, and aint no one got shot yet....

As late as the 1970s in small town Iowa (USA) we could take shotguns to school (on the school bus, no less) but we had to put them in the vice principals office (unloaded) once we got to school. The VP had a rack behind his door and we all put them up (but the rack could overflow and then it was catch as catch can). I would hunt pheasants (an invasive species) on my half mile walk to the bus stop.

I took an old JC Higgins 20ga bolt action with 28" barrel (the only gun I owned for a decade). That barrel seemed so long to me when I was little. Of course we never had any problems. Nobody wanted to ruin everything for everyone.

This thread brought back some memories, thanks. :)

Times have changed, that's for sure. And not necessarily for the better IMO.

My good friend Barry Cox told me that when he was in grade school in Southern Ca., in the 1950s kids were allowed to bring a rifle to school; it would be kept in a closet and brought out at recess for varmint or target shooting; yes things have changed ---- Nowadays, he collects and sells breech loading cannons and has a class 10 FFL.
Rifles to school in LA. That is so far from reality today it’s hard to imagine.

Same here. Everyone used to have a rifle, and, or shotgun in their truck. Just seems to be a lot more nutcases around, and I think that can be directly attributed to the anxiety level caused by our social evolution, failing to keep pace with our technical advancements. That, and the corporate takeover of the so called "news" that we get today (remember when we all listened to the same news?), which has totally stratified society, and made any kind of real common view of the world, and it's problems possible. All of this combines to keeps us in our place, so the rich get richer, and the same bad actors run the show. To a large degree, we all need to take responsablity for not seeing through the scharade, and together, doing something about it. As children we were all (mostly) taught a basic moral code, and the concept of right and wrong, and the inflexable nature of the truth, but this no longer seems to matter, if it doesn't fit the tennants of our prefered "tribe". My two cents, for what it's worth. Mike

Even as recent as the mid 1970s in SoCal, we used to shoot on empty land even within city limits. That sort of took care of itself though, as there's no empty land any more...

My first gun was a surplus Remington 513T, with peep sights. It was at home in the back window of my pickup right above my second gun, a Winchester model 94. When I went to college, the 513T got a new home in a sling that was behind the trucks seat. Spent many weekends teaching others to shoot, even got a small club going. Both rifles now reside in a locked gun safe. My high school had a shooting team, but most of us just competed amongst our selves.

Back