How to best seal leaky GoldenRod oilers

Littlebriar

Registered
Registered
I recently bought 2 GoldenRod oilers. I noticed in the Amazon reviews that many complained they leak as received. I bought them anyway and of course, they leak. They apparently leak down at the bottom seam. What's the best way to seal them? Silicone, JB Weld, brazing...?

After you put oil in them, most of the possibilities for repair will no longer fix the leaks. It would be quite difficult and time consuming to try to get all the oil out of the crimped joints for certain so an attempted repair might be successful. If it was new, and clean and dry throughout, a low viscosity, slow curing two part resin might cure in the crimped seams as it leaked, fixing the problem. Sometimes it is smart to pay attention to product reviews. I do not know where you can go from here that makes more sense than throwing them away and starting over with a different product, perhaps one with good reviews...

Why do they leak so?
I have several and they all eventually rot at the bottom and leak like heck.

I've had pretty good luck with goldenrods. I have about 4 now and none of them leak (yet?). I saw the same reviews online. Try looking at oilers from other manufacturers - for those, 100% of the reviews complain about leaking, rather than 25%. Buying a no-name oiler at the local hardware store bears this out, I got a black metal one and a red plastic one and they both leaked from the get-go.

How to fix ... maybe fill with solvent like kerosene, allow that to leak out, then attempt JB Weld or something?

I've heard this also but the 2 Goldenrods I have don't leak at the seam on the bottom of the can. One of mine leaked at the base of flexible spout. I put a thin coat of silicone on it & it fixed it but I eventually replaced the flexible spout for a rigid spout. I don't recommend silicone for sealing the seam on the can, just mentioning what I experienced.

I've heard of some people sealing them with Loctite. Loctite does make anerobic adhesives that still work when some oily residue is left over & can't be fully cleaned off, well to seome extent.

I would partially fill it with lacquer thinner or acetone, let it leak a while, then let dry out and give it the Loctite treatment. I have a bunch of the large Goldenrod oilers, and none of them leak at the bottom.

Ever hear of Reilang oilers? I threw my Goldenrod oilers away.
I was looking for them just yesterday. Haven't been able to find a US based supplier. On eBay, 2 will cost me $99 including shipping from England. Ouch!
Why worry about a little leak? Set the oilcan on a rag to absorb the leak, use the rag to wipe down bare iron & prevent rust!
That's actually not a bad idea. It's not a big leak and it's on a rag right now.

I was looking for them just yesterday. Haven't been able to find a US based supplier. On eBay, 2 will cost me $99 including shipping from England. Ouch!

That's actually not a bad idea. It's not a big leak and it's on a rag right now.

Buy once, cry once. They are worth it.

Back