How to Braze Carbide

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I would like to make a mini carbide boring bar. My plan is to braze some 3mm carbide rod into a hole in a larger piece of steel. I have never brazed carbide. What type of braze rod is appropriate? Do I need any special flux? Have you tried this and if so do you have any tips?

Robert

If I read your post right, you can also shrink fit that carbide into the steel and avoid any brazing.

If I read your post right, you can also shrink fit that carbide into the steel and avoid any brazing.
Theoretically I could do that but the carbide is only 3mm diameter and I don't have the ability to make an accurate hole that is 3mm minus .002"
I have some 56% Ag solder as well as white and black flux.
Robert

Do I need any special flux? Have you tried this and if so do you have any tips?

Robert
Robert:

I used Hobart brazing flux and a 1/8" bare bronze rod to make a LH boring bar from a scrap TPG insert and a DIY bar. Worked great.

Here is a YouTuber showing the process start to finish. I followed roughly the same procedure, except used oxy acetylene. I think he used MAPP gas. He starts the brazing at about 9:30 in the video.

HTH, Bill

Last edited:
Theoretically I could do that but the carbide is only 3mm diameter and I don't have the ability to make an accurate hole that is 3mm minus .002"
Steel expansion of a 3mm hole with red heat is only 12 parts per million per Kelvin; at yellow-red heat, circa 1300 K, it's really TOO hot,
and the hole only gets to 1.4 mils bigger. Maybe you could grind the carbide to a taper, and taper-ream a socket for it,
though. I see 3mm taper pin reamers are available on eBay.

I've found tinning the carbide with cast Iron flux and Tobin Bronze first makes it very easy to set with some Easy Flo.

Back