How to Build small Home Made Lathe

I started out with my Pop's electric drill clamped up in a vise. That was 55-60 years back. A few years ago, I acquired Gingery's books. As much to learn the finer points of machining from scratch as anything. I ended up acquiring a Grizzly 1550 machine for serious metal work, then upgraded to a Craftsman 12x36 when I tackled a project too large for the Griz.

Sorry for the ancient history lesson, but it sort of bears on my comments following. We won't go into the UniMat (DB-200) I bought in '69 or so. The relevant subject is Pop's electric drill. It was used for metal, plastic and wood projects relating to my model building. What I wanted to pass along was a link to a "Maker" project that a fellow had posted. It may not be the exact end use you're looking for but will get you up and running enough to make small projects in wood, so you have at least a little experience while you build a metal version.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Hom...Press/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email

It may take some finagling to get into the article, but well worth the effort if you want to build one. Only a couple of metal parts, the rest wood. What you were actually looking for, if I'm not mistaken.

Good luck with the project;
Bill Hudson​

Last edited:
Back