How to buy a shaper?

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Iam going to drive down to look at the small 7” Atlas shaper that’s been advertised on CL next weekend. I called the owner and learned he bought it to do a cosmetic rebuild and sell. Says he disassembled the machine and looked at everythng, but didn’t have to replace any parts. Also that he rebuilds old machine tools and resells them. Not a deal killer by any means. But to me, it means the seller doesn’t really know how the machine performs. So it looks very nice, cosmetically, but buyer beware.

My question is, are there some common inspection points I should look at with this style machine? Any key tell tale wear patterns to look for??

For example, I’ve learned to inspect the underside of the tailstock on a lathe, to feel for ridges or wear lines cut into the tailstock by the ways, as an indicator of overall wear...

But, have no experience with shapers, of any kind.

So just wondering if there are a couple of key inspection points to determine if the Machine is clapped out, or not??

Thanks much,
Glenn

Reactions: HMF
I'm not experienced by far. When I bought mine, I looked close at the ways for the ram, and table. And took a look at the gear teeth, and The ways for the big arm, in the big gear. And the last points I considered important were the bearing/ bushing that the big arm pivots on, and the bushings/ bearings ate the top end.

See if you can find a parts manual, or diagram for the Atlas. See where all the bushings are. Check those for play, to me they would not be a deal killer, but rather a bargaining point. But that is more determined by your experience, and tools you have to make things.

The drive, which I've forgotten the name of, can get sloppy. BTW the Atlas shaper is well made. Better than other Atlas offerings.

Does it have the skate under the table? Does it have the vise? Shaper vises are different than milling machine vises .

Look for broken parts, shapers can be cruel to themselves when something goes wrong. Check all the parts of the scotch yoke for welds or brazing. I am no shaper expert but I did look at a number of little ones before buying a Logan.

Thanks Doubleby, what is a scotch yoke?

As has been mentioned check the ram ways for signs of wear. You'll see ridges at the top of the way on the ram if its worn bad.
Extend the ram out as far as it will go and check up and down slop with an indicator. More than a few thou could be a problem. Some can be removed by adjusting the gibs but uneven wear may make it tight in some spots.
Check if the table is parallel to the ram with an indicator. Mount the indicator to the tool post and run the ram back and forth. Excessive droop at the front means the ways for the table are worn.
On a small shaper you should be able to push and pull on the ram to check for wear in the block / yoke that drives the ram off the bull gear.
If he's "restored" it you won't be able to tell how much oil was used on it. These things have so many sliding and rotating parts that they need to be dripping wet to survive.
Other than wear in the ram anything else can probably be rebuilt or remade with the machines you have.
When I bought the Peerless it had sat for 11 years, it was so tight from the oil going stiff I could hardly turn it by hand on the motor shaft, but the ram looked good. Couldn't power it up so had to buy it as is. Figured at $400 for probably 4000 pounds of cast I could recoop most of my cost at the scrapers
Greg

As has been mentioned check the ram ways for signs of wear. You'll see ridges at the top of the way on the ram if its worn bad.
Extend the ram out as far as it will go and check up and down slop with an indicator. More than a few thou could be a problem.

Some can be removed by adjusting the gibs but uneven wear may make it tight in some spots.
Check if the table is parallel to the ram with an indicator. Mount the indicator to the tool post and run the ram back and forth. Excessive droop at the front means the ways for the table are worn.

On a small shaper you should be able to push and pull on the ram to check for wear in the block / yoke that drives the ram off the bull gear.
Greg

Thanks Greg, these items are going on my check list. Exactly what Iam looking for.

I managed to acquire a Douglas shaper in excellent condition a while back https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/my-new-ish-shaper.53313/
The clapper box has absolutely zero wear, or sideways movement that I can detect. I dont know if its a wear problem point for shapers generally, but I imagine it would be "easy" for a machine reseller to overlook that area. Loosen the ram position adjustment nut, (on top) and you should be able to slide the ram easliy but not "too freely" in its ways. Check the table advance gear for chipped/broken teeth. I managed to snap a tooth off mine easily. Stupidly! But still easily done...........
I didnt get a vise with mine, and as previously mentioned they are different, $pendy, and can be hard to come by.

Cheers Phil

Keep an eye out for patches of J.B. weld in the casting. While not necessarily deal breakers depending on the size and location of the patch, fresh paint by resellers is a sign they are covering something up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back