How to choose a keyless chuck with R8 spindle

Oh boy. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. As a friend of mine used to say, "I think, therefore I am confused."
One good thing about these forums is that when I ask a question, the responses make me slow down and try to think. I thought that I wanted a keyless chuck because it would be quicker and easier to change bits, and that may be so. However, there are lots of other considerations. So for the time being, I'm going to keep scanning the internet to look at options. The Precision Matthews might be a good way to go for drilling small up to 1/2". But sounds like if I need to drill bigger, I might want to stick with keyed. I don't tap using the chuck. I make tap holders to fit into collets.
One thing for sure is that I don't want something that will be an irritation instead of a help. I bought a Dewalt cordless drill a while back that drives me nuts because the chuck doesn't loosen easily. Often I have to tighten it before I can loosen it. Makes no sense.
Some keyless chucks on cordless drills once tightened need to be turned back until a click is heard. This locks the chuck and prevents further tightening.

Well, I learn something new everyday, or try to. Many thanks Parlo for telling me about that trick. I went and tried it on the DeWalt which I had been cursing unfairly. It works.

Back