How To Clamp??

Scruffy

Active User
Registered
What's the best way to clamp a 12 by 12 --- 2 inches thick to the. Milling table so I can run a fly cutter over it.
I really don't want to have to move clamps.
Thanks ron

If you can have a couple of holes in it, you can bolt it to the table using flat head cap screws. Just countersink them a little deep so the heads are below the final surface.

If that's not acceptable, then make a ''vice'' with heavy angle iron. Drill & tap two 3/8 holes in the upright leg of the angle iron, at a slight angle downward. With the angle iron bolted to the table, the screws will press down on the plate as they are tightened. Long set screws would work well for this.

If that's not acceptable, then make a ''vice'' with heavy angle iron. Drill & tap two 3/8 holes in the upright leg of the angle iron, at a slight angle downward. With the angle iron bolted to the table, the screws will press down on the plate as they are tightened. Long set screws would work well for this.

simple, elegant and inexpensive Jim, great idea!
-brino

If you have a 6" vise you can move the jaw from the move-able side to the back of it. Some vises will open far enough to hold that size piece with the jaws this way. I have done it several times. Otherwise the angle iron idea above should do you well.

What he said. If you have a kurt style vise. Bouth jaws can be moumted on the back side. If yours don't stick up high enough to clamp over the moveble and fix jaws just make a set tall enough.

Years ago I manufactured pointed toe clamps for a open sideed planer . They just were pushed in the holes of the table and the pointed Allen bolts pushed into and downward at the same time . Four clamps would hold giant bearing blocks from us steal in Pennsylvania . I used tool steal and 3/4" 16 Allen bolts that I pointed in my lathe. They act like the mittee bite clamps only stronger. The dimensions were 2" square by 5" long turned round to fit table on one end 2" long then the block was drilled and tapped on a 60 degree angle downwards toward the turned end. They worked great at holding items to slab out . We could cut two directions with that planer at the same time . Don't even see or hear of those anymore.

The idea using pointed bolts is GREAT! I'm going to put these ideas to use.
I have run into clamping issues when using the mill in it's horizontal mode, trying to use standard mill clamps. Just not enough clearance between the top nut on the clamp and the arbor.

Can someone post a photo of moving the movable vise jaw to the back of the vise? I don't see what you mean

I was going to say years ago they made separate fixed and moveable vise jaws that were bolted to the table then the moveable jaw could be tightened against the workpiece. I suspect they would tend to slip if not bolted tight enough.

I like the pointed set screw style clamp. Let us know how your project comes out.

Back