How To Clamp??

I've seen this typ
I was going to say years ago they made separate fixed and moveable vise jaws that were bolted to the table then the moveable jaw could be tightened against the workpiece. I suspect they would tend to slip if not bolted tight enough.

I like the pointed set screw style clamp. Let us know how your project comes out.

I've not seen it in person but photos of the jaws bolted directly to the table, not on a mill but on shapers. Massive pieces of steel bolted to the table as the fixed jaw.

I don;t have a photo, but-you take the jaw off, and move it to the opposite side of the thing it was bolted to, then re-bolt it on.

EDIT: look at the bottom right of p 562:

http://mdmetric.com/prod/meda/medatoolsupply/595_chapter-pages.pdf
Thanks for the attachment. Now I see what your talking about. My ancient palmgren vise doesn't have a nice machined surface on the back or the threaded holes to take the jaw. I wonder if it's time to look for a "real" vise?

I've seen this typ

I've not seen it in person but photos of the jaws bolted directly to the table, not on a mill but on shapers. Massive pieces of steel bolted to the table as the fixed jaw.

I saw a photo too. They could only work with squared stock. The gentleman didn't say if the block of steel was a burnout or sawed.

I had made fixtures for myself from HRS or the butt end of bar stock.

They make pointed set screws, not sure if they are case hardened or not. I think if they were would definitely stand the pressure needed to secure the part.

Kind of like to see his final setup.

Thank you for the info on the clamps; I did a quick look and found that they are way too many $$'s for me. The home made one with pointed set screws will do the job :)

That is usually the biggest problem ( the Budget). If it was a everyday tool then it would be worth the money. If it is going to sit on the shelf after a few uses then make a pair.

Whatever you decide to make or use I (we) hope all goes well. Please post a few photos of your finished tooling and project.

Back