How to cut a clean circular hole in cork

Very nice looking coasters. Have to file that away in the attic of my head to maybe do at a later date.

Reactions: tjb
Honestly they look like they will be Really Nice Once they are Finished! Sorry I Dont mean anything bad just that you did such a good job and where so worried about the Cork on the BOTTOM but if you would like truthful feedback I think if you take just a bit more time you could come up with a easy way to Jazz up those coasters! Maybe some sanding swirls purposefully done in a patteren of your liking or maybe chuck them back up in the lathe and add a few detail groves, etc.....
Anyway thats just my opinion and its worth Exactly what you paid for it!

Reactions: tjb
Honestly they look like they will be Really Nice Once they are Finished! Sorry I Dont mean anything bad just that you did such a good job and where so worried about the Cork on the BOTTOM but if you would like truthful feedback I think if you take just a bit more time you could come up with a easy way to Jazz up those coasters! Maybe some sanding swirls purposefully done in a patteren of your liking or maybe chuck them back up in the lathe and add a few detail groves, etc.....
Anyway thats just my opinion and its worth Exactly what you paid for it!
I have what started out as a nice shiny aluminum coaster in my study. I made it from a piece of 1/4" aluminum left over from another project. I put a nice mirror finish on it, but it didn't take long for coffee cups and drink glasses to cover it with scratches that make the finish look horrible. (I'm staring at it right now.) Unfortunately, that's the nature of aluminum. Given that we intend to actually use them as coasters, I decided on a matte finish taken down to 400 grit with an orbital sander. Did that on the hot plates and wear and tear seem to blend in to the finish. Good suggestions, but I suspect they'd show unsightly signs of wear in a very short period of time.

By the way, don't know if you were referring to any picture in particular, but the coaster photo with the gasket laid next to it is NOT a finished coaster nor is it even the top side. The final sanding wasn't done until just before final assembly, and you get a better idea of the matte finish in some of the other photos.

Thanks for looking.

Regards,
Terry

Maybe its just cause im viewing on my phone but im looking at the pic of the 2 stacks next to one another.
I was thinking something more along this type of finish. It will do a good job hiding finger prints and some defects. Im sure over the long run the surface will show signs of use but the great thing about this style of finish is its super easy to do and redo as it were..... Anyway I hear what you are saying about the difficulties of keeping them looking nice but the important then is that they get USED and I Hope you Get Great use out of them so that you wear them out completely....:)Screenshot_20190924-230647_Google.jpg

Back