How to cut fiberglass safely

nnam

Registered
Registered
I would like to cut some fiberglass hard panel, 1/4". Is there an easy way to do that safely? The piece I have is a bit big, so I can't put in water and cut it. I would if I can. The only tool I think would work is a table saw or a circular saw, but other ideas would help. So I don't know how to keep it wet to keep the dust down to minimal or 0.
I just need to cut a large box (30" each side), into panels so I can store them. Once in a while, I need a piece, like when I needed a piece for doing 3 phase converter.

What do you think?

If not, I will just post and give it away, all else, it will go to trash.

Diamond blade skill saw, shop vac while cutting, and a good dust mask. A tyvek suit will be the best protection, 2nd baby powder on you, if you really want the pieces. Maybe a mister, and reciprocating saw?

I think I would use a cordless (to avoid a shock hazard) reciprocating saw (SawzAll type) with a fine tooth or ceramic grit blade while somebody with a hose helps out by flooding the cut with water.

Carbide grit blade in a jigsaw works well,(make sure you wear breathing protection). There are specialty slow speed rotary saws.

wow, thanks. I didn't think of the cordless option. That solves the problem, other than I don't have one. I used to have a brand new one, never used it. The corded circular saw worked great for me and I didn't think of a reason for it, then I donated it, along with a cordless reciprocal saw.

Now I know how important it is. Live and learn.

It just seems to me that most reciprocating saws throw up a lot less dust than a circular saw or grinding/slitting disk on a rotary tool. Modern cordless tools are getting pretty good, one of these days I'm going to get a few bucks ahead and I'll buy a cordless band saw. You see a lot of cordless tools on sale but never portable bandsaws.

I spent most of my life messing around with fiberglass boats. I used a jig saw or a sawzall with a fine tooth blade to cut fiberglass. The blades will wear out quickly. Very little dust and it doesn't fly all over the place. No big deal to cut fiberglass. Where you get into major dust and fiberglass itch is in fairing hulls and other parts. That is a nasty, messy job where you need lots of protection.

At the moment, I am thinking of using a multi-tool and a GFCI and a water hose, with some chance of damaging the tool, but I don't think that'll happen. What do you think?
How about the blade that can handle this cut well, and not dull to quickly? Mine tool is just a variable speed from Harbor freight.

I have cut fiberglass panels with a carbide tipped skilsaw blade, wearing a respirator, than using compressed air to blow the dust off of me and my clothing. It worked surprisingly well...

-Bear

Back