How to cut Stainless Sheet metal

F

f350ca

Forum Guest
Register Today
Someone wants a stand made for a soft ice-cream machine, apparently can't find one the right size. I'd make it out of 18 gauge 304 sheet. How would you go about cutting the sheet up.
I've cut sheet metal with the jig saw but its slow, noisy and not very straight cuts in my hands. Abrasive disk is out, too much dust in the closed shop. Plasma doesn't leave a very nice edge so lots of sanding to get it smooth and the small burn mark gone.
I've been looking at the metal cutting circular saws. Lots of video cutting heavy sections, conduit and metal studding but not much on how they handle thin stainless sheet ware. Worried they'd grab and bend the sheet and maybe me.
Any thought appreciated.
Thanks
Greg

Someone wants a stand made for a soft ice-cream machine, apparently can't find one the right size. I'd make it out of 18 gauge 304 sheet. How would you go about cutting the sheet up.
I've cut sheet metal with the jig saw but its slow, noisy and not very straight cuts in my hands. Abrasive disk is out, too much dust in the closed shop. Plasma doesn't leave a very nice edge so lots of sanding to get it smooth and the small burn mark gone.
I've been looking at the metal cutting circular saws. Lots of video cutting heavy sections, conduit and metal studding but not much on how they handle thin stainless sheet ware. Worried they'd grab and bend the sheet and maybe me.
Any thought appreciated.
Thanks
Greg
Any thought appreciated.
Thanks
Greg
A good sheet metal nibbler might do the job Greg my father has one thats about 30 years old still going after being used and abused
You can also cut out shapes etc if need be .if it was a straight edge you want to cut just run it along a straight edge to get a good straight cut .They leave quiet a klean egde to just be carefull of the little toe nail shaped cuttings or swarf there sharp little buggers

images.jpg

I wish. Sorry forgot to mention I don't have access to a shear.

hand shears, power shears or a nibbler are the best ways of going at it.
nibblers are very cool and make short work out of things. they are very manuverable
power shears would be my choice for long straight cuts.

Hi Greg,

Three ideas/options for you (best to worst):

1) I have the shear shown here:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/found-a-sheet-metal-shear-that-needed-a-small-repair.48881/
It is a Brown Boggs 249B 48" sheet metal shear rated to 16 ga.
You could swing by on the weekend if you'd like to use it.

2) I have this electric hand held shear
1516074985422.png
Note: I had to get that out of my "Order History" at Princess Auto; they do NOT seem to carry that item anymore.
I have always free-handed it (I use the shear above for long straight cuts.)
You could likely use a straight edge.

3) I just picked up a nibbler tool for use with an electric drill based on a recommend from member @ACHiPo here:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/nibbler-table.64283/post-533348
I got mine on ebay:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/CaNibble-Th...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
I had a project that required some odd shaped cut-outs, so thought I'd try it out.
For $35 I didn't stand to lose much, however, I am pleasantly surprised that it works quite well.
Makes some awful swarf though....piles of little razor sharp crescents....nasty stuff.
It's rated for stainless up to 1.2mm
They have some video on their website here: https://canibbletools.com/
I have not tried with a straight edge.

Options 2) and 3) you could take back to your shop if you want.
PM me if you'd like to take me up on any offers.

-brino

G'day Greg,

We have an air-powered nibbler at work I can grab/use anytime I want (provided I can remember where it is) & run it up to you if you want. Think we've used it twice in three years so no rush getting it back! Not at work this week, but it's only 10 minutes away so no worries.

The "General" (wife) will be gone most of today with car, but could get it to you this evening or tomorrow morning.

I'd use a lever operated shear, if I didn't have one I'd buy one for the job, I've done quite a few jobs for the cost of materials plus the tooling to do the job.
Then you have the right tools for the next one, sometimes ;-)

Back