How to cut Stainless Sheet metal

WOW !!! Thanks for all the suggestions and offers.

Didn't expect to be offered access to a shear, will be in touch brino.
Thanks as well Todd, you can always drop over for a coffee, been a while.

Still curious on how the circular metal saw would preform.
Was pricing electric nibblers, why are they so expensive?

Thanks
Greg

Greg,
I purchased a cheap Harbor Freight for under $50 bucks. I have used it for all sorts of metal including 12 gauge aluminum.
Rated for 14 gauge mils steel, I have a hunch it should cut 18 ga. SS. You will loose about 1/4" per cut as it cuts from the center.
https://www.harborfreight.com/14-gauge-4-amp-heavy-duty-metal-shears-62213.html
Do you have a vertical band saw?
Do you have a Nitrogen cylinder? Nitrogen used in place of shop air for plasma cutting SS yields a better cut quality but not prefect.
18 gauge should cut fine with a decent plasma and buff out with a scotch-bright pad. If your cuts are long however, you could get significant wavy warpage.
My first choice would be trying the electric HF type hand shear.
Keep us posted!
Paco

The length of cuts was what made me look for other choices . The cabinet is about 3 x 2 x 1 1/2 feet so relatively long cuts. Another concern is the travel speed on light material is so high the steppers or electronics round the corners, might be able to play with the acceleration.
The material is $250 a sheet, and need almost all of it. One Oh $hit and I need a second sheet.

Greg

You could use a fine tooth skill saw blade with the sheet laying on a sacrificial board. Different animal but works well on aluminum sheet with a guide.

Iv'e used an abrasive disk made for SS do it outside and wear a mask. You'll still have to smooth the edges with a flap wheel on the grinder

Back