• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

We've seen a lot of changes. In March, 4 moderators left to start their own site. They took some of you with them. So now you have split loyalties. You know who you are. They didn't like my way of managing this place, and thought they could do better without me. They didn't. The only thing holding them together is that they hate me. Their site was down until mid July. That is why I wanted to stay involved on here until they could learn to run this place. But they wanted me to leave right away, without the training part.

Anyway, I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I don't want to know about this place.

What about the 4 moderators who were disloyal? I don't care. It isn't my call anymore. I would think that, rather than fumble, they ought to come back and do good work. That's up to them. If they want to return to try to lead more members to their site, I am done caring. I suffered too much aggravation worrying about it. I don't plan to spend any more. What they do impacts on them. I have my own opinions including those of you who followed them there. No longer my problem.

I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

How to dial in a 4-jaw chuck

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

MikeWi

Active User
Registered
I found this on youtube, and it's really made life easier for me. Thought some other of the new people may find it useful as well. BTW there also some truly awful examples out there as well. LOL

[video=youtube;vsIaYm7g9nA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsIaYm7g9nA[/video]

Analias

Active User
Registered
I like this method for adjusting a four jaw chuck. To me it's a bit more intuitive. It does require a second chuck key.

[video=youtube;2KMhx4DbyDg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KMhx4DbyDg [/video]

Ray C

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Just want to point out that if your jaws are not square, you'll have fits getting something centered no matter what technique you use. Take a piece of known drill rod, center it with the DI placed about 2" from the jaws and after its centered, move the DI about 6" further down the shaft. If it's more than a couple thou off the jaws need a little tuning. Repeat the process a few times to make sure of how much error really exists. Something to watch for is that if the slots & grooves that the jaws ride in are sloppy and worn, don't bother filing/grinding on your jaws. Excessive wiggle in the slots/grooves is the alarm clock that says "Time for a new chuck". In my early days, I once did a weld build-up and used slot cutters to bring things back to normal. It came out pretty good (much improved) but was not worth the hassle in retrospect.

Ray

MikeWi

Active User
Registered
Just want to point out that if your jaws are not square, you'll have fits getting something centered no matter what technique you use.
My jaws are all perfectly straight, and perfectly out of parallel with the lathe axis! The jaws grip at the forward end but not farther back, so you can rock workpiece from side to side and watch it pivoting on the opposing jaws leading "tooth". When you look all the way to the back of the jaw, it's got a lot of clearance. Same for all four jaws or in other words any opposing pair. And yes it did give me fits before I figured it out. Swapping jaws around didn't make any difference. I did a little very light removal from the front tooth of each jaw with a sanding drum, and got a little improvement, but I'm afraid to do too much without having some sort of control. It seems the jaws are all very uniformly tipped in towards the center a little bit.

edit: forgot to add that I checked with a parallel, so I know that it's not a case of the chucked piece having a taper.

Ray C

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
That's a really annoying problem to have. When you get more inspiration, you'll probably want to touch that up. As it is now, when you tighten the jaws, it will leave a heavy bite mark with the front teeth. A piece could end-up wiggling around on you too. There are quite a few threads here about how folks have used a rotary grinder in the tool post to fix that up...

Ray

My jaws are all perfectly straight, and perfectly out of parallel with the lathe axis! The jaws grip at the forward end but not farther back, so you can rock workpiece from side to side and watch it pivoting on the opposing jaws leading "tooth". When you look all the way to the back of the jaw, it's got a lot of clearance. Same for all four jaws or in other words any opposing pair. And yes it did give me fits before I figured it out. Swapping jaws around didn't make any difference. I did a little very light removal from the front tooth of each jaw with a sanding drum, and got a little improvement, but I'm afraid to do too much without having some sort of control. It seems the jaws are all very uniformly tipped in towards the center a little bit.

edit: forgot to add that I checked with a parallel, so I know that it's not a case of the chucked piece having a taper.

KBeitz

Registered
Registered
I fixed 3 and 4 jaw chucks with a chunk of sacrificial drill rod and lapping compound and a rubber band.
I center a short drill rod in a chuck in the tail stock the best I can and lightly tighten the head chucks jaws
on the drill rod that's covered with valve grinding compound. I wrap the rubber band around the chucks
jaws to keep pressure on the rod at all times. Then I run the lathe at a slow speed. it does a great job.

MikeWi

Active User
Registered
I cured mine not long after that post using a grinder. Jaws are nice and straight now.

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)

The OEM four jaw for my 602had the same problem. I reground my jaws which solved the problem.
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/grinding-my-jaws.50747/

[6]
[5] [7]